Multiplying mm:ss by a number

MattMax

I'm looking to multiply mm:ss by a number and get mmm:ss
Instead, excel looks to be converting the time into a date.

There has to be a simply solution to this... I going nuts trying to find it.

To start, if I enter a 5:40 into a cell Excel automatically formats as "5:40:00 AM" (I want it in mm:ss) I don't seem to have any luck with changing the format of the cell as time with 13:30 option if I use the custom mm:ss it turns the time into 40:00 for some reason.

Now if I multiply 5:40:00 AM by 5 I get "4:20" (excel adds a day 1/1/00)

Is there a simple way to multiply mm:ss against a number without adding days?

Many thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi

If you enter 5:40 you are not entering 5 minutes and 40 seconds, you are entering 5 hours and 40 minutes

To enter 5 minutes and 40 seconds, try:

0:5:40

Upvote 0
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 96pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl65 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64 height=20>00:05:40</TD><TD class=xl65 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64>02:21:40</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20> </TD><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">141:40</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 344pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=458 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 105pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2560" width=140><COL style="WIDTH: 239pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5814" width=318><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 105pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=140 height=20>00:05:40</TD><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 239pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=318>=A1*25</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=20> </TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">=((HOUR(A1*25)*60)+MINUTE(A1*25))&":"&SECOND(A1*25)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Is this what you are asking? Of course formatting makes a big difference... when you format it in mm:ss you still have to enter your time in as 00:05:40

Upvote 0
Thanks I just made a break through.. I'm using a custom format "[h]:mm" which accumulates the hours and doesn't add a day.

I'm okay with shoehorning the data in as hours.. because it's easier to enter that way...

Thanks!
MattMax

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back