My world collapsed today! Excel 2003 to Office 365 Excel...

Rhothgar

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

You'd think that the future would bring productivity. OH NO!

I feel as though I've made the biggest most stupid decision I've ever made in respect of my work life yesterday.

Yep! I downgraded from Excel 2003 to Office 365.

The first task I tried today just failed so I had to switch back to Windows 7 and Excel 2003.

I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it is but I have no idea where to start. I may as well have downloaded OpenOffice which Office 365 probably is anyway (just dressed up in new clothes).

So I copy and paste data from a website into Excel 2003 and the hyperlinks are fine, working and intact.

In Office 365, the first C+P acts exactly as I'd expect it to. I then click to the next page on the saved list on the website, drag and select the next batch of information, go to paste it into Office 365 and it removes all the hyperlinks and dumps each 'line' from the table on the website into a merged cell. 50 lines, 50 merged cells whereas the first paste contains 50 lines of 5 columns containing various objects. I then F5 and remove Objects such as pictures, delete the first column and drag cell divisions and make it look nice and more importantly useable.

I really didn't want to have to post here because:-

a) I don't understand, nor want to at 50 years old, why I should have to adapt to change I really don't need (if it ain't broke, Microsoft, don't fix it!)
b) I would rather ask Microsoft for my money back as I don't/can't afford to spend countless hours learning new techniques perhaps and worrying about what else might not work the same at a critical time when I just want to get on with it and get the job done.

Also, I am not familiar at this point in time with any new options or settings that could be changed to return it to a working state similar, if not identical, to Excel 2003. I knew it was all going awry when I first glimpsed Office 2007 and the ribbon invasion. Horrible IMHO!

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm probably come across as a Luddite Curmudgeon today. I just don't want change and the daft thing is I am in control of my own downfall.

I am sure there are folks on here that might be able to put a positive spin into this and convince me that I have done the right thing...

Please help!

?

PS A worried face emoji seems like a good choice. I was going to select a smile and say that's my first one of the day but thought better of it!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Welcome, fellow pentagenarian I feel your pain. I am in charge of migrating 300,000,000 *.xls files over to Win365

Needless to say, I feel your pain
Just so long as you don't have to copy and paste, you'll be fine.

I HOPE! I'll keep everything crossed for you.

I'm just currently installing the PC version. I thought it was all online nowadays. The Cloud's the future apparently. I know the sky's the limit but my patience with change doesn't match these limits.

Upvote 0
All is NOW good in the world.

The Desktop version is flawless on copy and paste.

So now that begs the question:-

WHAT is the difference between online and desktop versions?

In both, I selected Open XML Format so no difference there although I have to admit I was hesitant when I selected it in the desktop version thinking that this could be what caused the issue?

Upvote 0
Rhothgar, your world hasn't collapsed - it has improved. Our advice (which you clearly sought) is to watch one brief youtube video every day and you will learn at an exponential rate.

Two notable channels on youtube are MrExcel (the sponsor of this forum) and ExcelIsFun. Each has various playlists by topic.

Just check out one or two and see if it fits your learning style. This one might be a good place to start - it reviews Excel 2016, which is the basis for Excel 365.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back