damian_r_Home

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

Is it possible for the name of the sheet to be automatically taken from a a cell within that sheet?

If it is and its coding that does it, can you please give me exacting step by step guide on how you do it.

Hope you understand what i'm on about.

Damian

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
What is the error message you're receiving? Is it "Unable to change name"? If yes, does the sheet name you're trying to change to already exist?

Upvote 0
I'm getting the error message Unable to change name but the name does not already exist.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Any hidden sheets in the workbook with that name? You could also take out my error routine and see what error you're getting. Change the code to:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim NameRange As Range
Set NameRange = Range("A1")
If Not Intersect(Target, NameRange) Is Nothing Then
    ActiveSheet.Name = CStr(NameRange)
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi,

apologies for not getting back before but I've been out of the office for a couple of days.

There are no hidden sheets and when i use your latest code, everything appears to be OK.

Damian

Upvote 0
HELP!!!!

Having got a spreadsheet all working and running as i wanted using this sheet renaming function, i issued the revised spreadsheet to the various members of staff in the office ready for their use when returning to work today, and the sheet renaming function has stopped working on all machines except mine!!! (the spreadsheets are shared but i don't think that is the problem.

What is really strange is that it does work on my home PC as well as my work one here!!

Can somebody help with this as soon as possible.

Damian

Upvote 0
Problem resolved.

It appears that the macro security setting was set to high, thus causing the macros to be ignored.

Damian

Upvote 0
HI folks.

I've been using the above code for a while now and everything has been running fine. However i now need to use it in a slightly different manner which means that i need to sheet name to upadate to the value in the cell whenever it changes.
This change will be due to the value in the cell being taken from another sheet in the workbook
Currently this code will change the name once only and any subsequent changes in the cell are not reflected in the sheet name.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Damian

Upvote 0
HI again,

Sorry to bring this up again but can anybody help me on this as i really need to make this work, hence a hopefully clearer explanation of what i want below.

On sheet 1, cell A1 contains the number 1.
On sheet 2, cell c1 takes it's value from cell A1 on sheet 1.
Sheet 2 should now rename to the value in cell C1 on Sheet 2.
If the value was to change in cell 1 on sheet 1, sheet 2 should rename to the new value that appears in cell C1 on sheet 2.

Hope this is clearer.

Damian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spg5150

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back