Name Range Lookup Not Working Corectly

JLHSolutions

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hello,

I am pretty new to using Excel in this way, but I have built a sheet that we use to enter in some basic info and the sheet returns values in a specific format. I am having issues getting a table and named ranges to work correctly.

What I am trying to accomplish is this.
I have a table where all the values are stored. Depending on the type of mux this job requires, the values are different. Some of the muxes have the same channels, but each configuration is slightly different.

I have a drop down that we pick the type of mux we are using. This is the same name as the named ranges on the mux table. From there, I create a dropdown list (using INDIRECT) to display the channels that are available on that mux. Here is where the problem happens.

There is a FORWARD (FWD) channel and a RETURN (RTN) channel that are paired together. Some of the FWD channels have different RTN channels depending on the mux that is selected for the job. I am currently using VLOOKUP to get the RTN value. But it grabs the first instance of the FWD channel.

How do I set up my formula to grab the corresponding value to the channel that was selected? I have been trying to figure out if I grab value that is in Row 40, how to do get the values to the right of that row. I haven't had any luck figuring this out. I've linked my file on here so you can see what the MUX table looks like and how the drop down lists work.

Thanks for any assistance on this project.

File
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyad8dnnwss56o6/TX JOB SHEET.xlsx?dl=0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I can't use dropbox from here...

But there are a number of ways to reference cells near other cells. You can use INDEX() which is designed to return a specific cell from a range of cells.

The literal way to get "The cell to the right of the cell I grab" is OFFSET(cellrefernce, 0, 1). Which will return the cell to the right (zero rows down and 1 column right) of the cell you put into the cell reference.

But I suspect INDEX() is the better approach... INDEX() which returns the value in a certain position, works very well in concert with MATCH() which finds a particular value in a list.

Something like INDEX(RTNChannelsRange,MATCH(FWDChannelUsed, FWDChannelRange,0)) will use Match to find that the Forward Channel you are using is the 8th in the list, then look for the 8th value in the Retrun Channels list.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back