Named cell vs. linked cell

AntBlabby8

Board Regular
Today I got ambushed in a planning meeting, regarding my use of Named cells in large worksheets that are updated yearly.

In essence, we have about 50 worksheets with formulas related, for example, to FX rates. I have a worksheet called, "Input" that creates all sorts of single named cells for FX. In the named cells, I put the current FX for five countries, and name them as follows.

EURO
GBP
CAD
AUD
NZD

Then my formulas use the different names, where appropriate.

The thing is, we don't change anything else. So the formulas could as easily be linked to those cells with $ $ (e.g., $A$1), forever.

I have been told that I can no longer use named cells, because it "confuses" others looking at my files. When I objected -- as I sometimes look at the cells and "EURO" is easy to see that it is the FX I want, versus $A$1 -- they added, that named cells slow down performance in general and makes the file huge. They named other things -- files crashing, getting corrupted, etc. as more often due to named cells.

These aren't RANGES, just single cells. I really like them because I also use them for repeated comments at the bottom of each table -- COMMENT1, COMMENT2. And other uses. So, does anyone know if what my co-workers are saying is true?

Also what are the other advantages of using named cells for single cells, over just putting in a cell address w/ $ $? Is there something I can quote?

Frankly, I just think they are jealous of my Excel prowess, lol.

But I would like to hear opinions about this!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Sounds like BS to me....
named cells slow down performance in general and makes the file huge. They named other things -- files crashing, getting corrupted, etc. as more often due to named cells.
Even more BS
Consider the use of REAAALY long formula referencing your cells....nice to know that you are multiply / dividing, etc....the "EURO" by "FX"
Nice and simple

Having said that, I haven't met many people that believe they have Excel prowess.....I know Excel users that can write incredible formulae AND run off lines of code that most of us wouldn't even understand, but they don't claim to be great users !!!....could be something in that !!
Just keep in mind who pays who, in your org......:wink:

Upvote 0
Sounds like BS to me....

Having said that, I haven't met many people that believe they have Excel prowess.....I know Excel users that can write incredible formulae AND run off lines of code that most of us wouldn't even understand, but they don't claim to be great users !!!....could be something in that !!
Just keep in mind who pays who, in your org......:wink:

Michael,

I think, in fairness, you have mis-interpreted the OP's comment regarding prowess. They clearly put LOL at the end of comment, which infers it was a light-hearted comment :confused:

Regards,
Chris

Upvote 0
Hey ChrisR
Nope, no mis-interpretation at all.....I was simply pointing out that while the OP was probably doing the "right" thing as far as Excel was concerned, his / her peers might see it as a threat to their lack of knowledge, and he / she might need to re-evaluate they way they approach their presentations.
I work for the Govt, and trust me, by some of our standards, I'm a genius.....but I will do exactly what my managers want, if I can't convince them of a better way....'cause they pay me ...:wink:

Upvote 0
Hi Michael,

I fully appreciate the comment that about doing what employers want............Certainly no point arguing with them over something trivial when they pay the bills :LOL:

My original comment was more to the "most people don't claim to be great users" and the "I know people who..........." comments regarding to the prowess. I was just highlighting that I don't think the OP had any intentions of implying they were a 'great user', I just took the 'prowess' part as a light-hearted comment.

Saying that though, I fully agree with doing what the employer wants if you can't EASILY convince them otherwise. As they pay the wages there's no point reciting benefits of a function off the internet, especially if the employer already has opposed strongly. The employer will likely take this as a challenge to authority and it wouldn't likely be received well even if it was the right decision.

Some times I think you can offer your knowledge, but if an employer chooses not to use that option then you must be prepared to fold..............Plus in the long run, if your solution would have circumvented future issues that arise, you can at least have the smugness of 'Told you so...........' :ROFLMAO:

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep.....agreed, all comments are true and correct....(y)
Now it's just you and me having a debate, and Joan is thinking, OMG what have I done !!!......:coffee:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back