Named Ranges in chart creating Invalid Reference

cubsfan05

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've used named ranges to create charts before but lately I seem to be having some trouble with it as i've got a couple named ranges (one for each series pretty much) which relate to the proper data but when I put the named ranges into the chart, I get the error message "A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references. Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and cell refrence."

I know the error is within the chart because i cease getting this error if I remove the chart.
If someone could help with this, It'd be greatly appreciated as I like to create a lot of dynamic charts like this.

See link below for specific file
https://my.syncplicity.com/share/4bvbironljnggdz/Oil%20_%20Gas%20Charting%20Help

Running Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 on PC
Happy to answer any questions

Thanks in advance!!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi Cubsfan05,

You can get rid of the error from popping up by removing the invalid reference in the Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels in your chart.

Your Formulas>Defined Names>Name Manager>Dates is the invalid reference.

You need to fix that offset formula, and then reset the the Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels in your chart.

Hope that helps.

Steve=True

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, I corrected the named range formulas in the linked file below, however, I'm still receiving the same error. I believe it has to do with how the names are entered into the select data window on the chart, but I can't get it to work. I had previously typed in the series name as ='[filename]'!OilPrices

https://my.syncplicity.com/share/4ghyi2uk6hujip6/Copy of Oil _ Gas Charting Template v2

Thanks again in advance.

Upvote 0
You can type anything into the series name. In the select data source window, make sure you are using the correct range of data.

Upvote 0
I'm unable to enter ='Copy of Oil &'Price Volume'!$9:$9 Gas Charting Template v2.xlsx'!Oil_Price in the select data window as it produces that error mentioned previously

Upvote 0
The two things that you enter in the select data window are the name of the data (example: month) and the range of the data (ex:A1:A12)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back