Narrowed down data validation from previous selection

G Wiz

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking to use some predefined data to be able to select based on another cells selection.

So the document I have the following headings on columns.

StageTask TypeTask

I have under Stage data validation allowing me to select a Stage.

I have a tab for Task Type which lists all the Task Types across a single row, with the individual Tasks below running down the columns.

Back to my main tab Task Type has data validation to allow me select one of the Task Types from the other tab.

Essentially what I want to do is when selecting a particular Task Type, only the Tasks that are under the Task Type are selectable in the Task column.

Is this possible with a formula of some sort, or am I going to need to build the spreadsheet a bit differently?

Thanks

If you plan to have multiple rows with different TaskTypes you will need a double INDIRECT function like
=INDIRECT(INDIRECT("$B" & ROW())) - we get the row and column address, use the inside INDIRECT to get the TaskType
the outer INDIRECT selects the Task list for the selected Task Type.
I did not understand that. In what way does this fail?

G Wiz.xlsm
ABC
1StageTask TypeTask
2Stage 3TaskType_3WaterPik
3Stage 0TaskType_1Stand
4Stage 6/7TaskType_2Work
Sheet3
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C2:C4List=INDIRECT(B2)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
One issue I do have here is the Indirect cell doesn't like being copied and has much more limited flexibility than the other cells.

Upvote 0
the Indirect cell
Which cell(s) exactly are you referring to with that remark?

doesn't like being copied and has much more limited flexibility than the other cells.
Can you expand, with example(s), on just what you mean by that too? I could not find a particular problem in copying any of the cells. Perhaps I wasn't doing what you want to do.

Upvote 0
One issue I do have here is the Indirect cell doesn't like being copied and has much more limited flexibility than the other cells.
Your data validation lists are set up with the Data Validation screens form Data (on the main tool bar) -> Data Validation. You should not need to enter an =INDIRECT() formula in cells for the solution you are seeking.

Upvote 0
Revisiting this, the copying issue I don't seem to have now. But there is an issue that I have when selecting a Task. It only gives me the option in the drop down box of the first 40 cells. Because the formula is: =INDIRECT(INDIRECT("$H" & ROW())) and there are no cells references, and there is no way to drag the range, I don't know how I can correct this to include more cells? Please help!

Upvote 0
Sorted. Just had to adjust in the Name Manager...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back