Need a Venn diagram, but in numbers? Not sure how to approach this.

seacliffs

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone -

I've been stumbling around trying to problem solve a massive spreadsheet I have. I know how to do what I want in very laboriously - but with 15 columns, I'd really, really, really, really, really like to avoid that.

Here's a sample data set

FoodWaterBeddingHeat
1ReportedReportedNot reportedReported
2Not reportedNot reportedNot reportedReported
3ReportedNot reportedReportedNot Reported
4Not reportedReportedReportedReported

Here's the sort of results I need:

Food: 2 reported and 2 not reported, 50% and 50%
Water: 2 reported and 2 not reported, 50% and 50%
Bedding: 2 reported and 2 not reported, 50% and 50%
Heat: 3 reported and 1 not reported, 75% and 25%

Food and water and bedding and heat: 0 reported and 4 not reported
Food and water and bedding: 0 reported and 4 not reported
Food and water: 1 reported, 3 not reported
Food and bedding: 1 reported, 3 not reported
Food and heat: 1 reported, 3 not reported
Water, bedding, heat: 1 reported, 3 not reported

And basically every permutation like that.

I can get the reporteds and not reporteds via filters and pivot tables and count ifs - but running the permutations is doing my head in a bit and I'm afraid I'm making data errors.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Your title says that need a Venn diagram, but you make no reference to that at all in your original post, instead saying that you're having difficulty running the permutations.

Why does it need to be a Venn Diagram? I'm not sure that this is the appropriate (or even correct) visualisation for this data. I've given it only a little bit of thought, but Venn Diagrams seem to visualizations that show a number of elements and the extent to which those elements have a shared attribute. Your dataset above seems to have another one or two dimensions to it, that I don't know that a Venn Diagram has the capacity to show. Mind you, I could be completely be wrong. :)

As to the permutations, I going to have to plead ignorance on the best method of doing this, but I wonder if a recent article posted in this forum might be of some help to you? Excel Formula: An easy way to get all combinations of items in different columns

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Upvote 0
Your title says that need a Venn diagram, but you make no reference to that at all in your original post, instead saying that you're having difficulty running the permutations.

Why does it need to be a Venn Diagram? I'm not sure that this is the appropriate (or even correct) visualisation for this data. I've given it only a little bit of thought, but Venn Diagrams seem to visualizations that show a number of elements and the extent to which those elements have a shared attribute. Your dataset above seems to have another one or two dimensions to it, that I don't know that a Venn Diagram has the capacity to show. Mind you, I could be completely be wrong. :)

As to the permutations, I going to have to plead ignorance on the best method of doing this, but I wonder if a recent article posted in this forum might be of some help to you? Excel Formula: An easy way to get all combinations of items in different columns

Sorry I can't be of more help.

The Venn diagram is the only way I could think to visualise it - in that I want to say something like - one study (which is what the numbers represent in my data), covered categories a, b, c, and d, but three studies covered A only. I'm sure there are better ways to visualise it - I'm just brain stuck! (Feel free to suggest!) I'll have a looksee at that post link. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back