Need advice on fixing unreadable content

Oliver Dewar

Board Regular
Hi All.

I have a superpowered workbook (macros galore).

Occasionally, upon opening I get the 'this workbook contains unreadable content' error. Excel repairs the file and the error is always the same:

"Removed Records: Sorting from /xl/worksheets/sheet10.xml part"

(There is no longer a sheet10 - I removed it a few months back.)

I save it back to the same place and continue on... a few opens later I get the same error.

So I exported all the sheets, forms and modules to a new, fresh workbook.

On first open... same error. Excel fixes... second open fine... but I'm certain it will rear its head again.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks all.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I experience the same problem with my personal workbook, usually it is because a script is either incorrect or it fails to initiate a script properly that I have in the workbook open event.

If you have your workbook password protected or the VBA password protected then I would suggest that you remove them and then try and open and close the workbook a couple of times to try and work out what the error is. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

I find that it is always good not to have scripts such as on error resume next in anything to do with scripts that run when a workbook opens also as this can cause problems with tracking where exactly the script went wrong.

Upvote 0
Pretty well all of the file components are editable XML files.
On a *copy* of the file, change the extension from .xlsm to .zip and open the resulting archive. There's heaps of stuff in there. To navigate it and make sense of the layout, look at this msdn page.

EDIT: Just saw something else. If the file is read-only, remove the read-only and that can resolve the issue.

Denis

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you both so much for your replies.

The problem started before I had anything in the workbook open event... so I don't think it's that.

Could well be an 'on error resume next' problem... though I wouldn't know where to begin testing for that.

SydneyGeek... your advice has given me hope, but I fear the code your pointing too will be a bit beyond me. Perhaps I could pay an expert to look into that for me. Do you think someone could identify the error from that code?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back