Need dynamic list to populate in another sheet & carry data in destination sheet with it when changed

jpalarch

I have 3 separate worksheets. Sheet 1 has a column with a list of numbers & text that will constantly be changing. That column also includes blanks & duplicates. In Sheet 2, I am clearing out all the blanks & duplicates using an "IF, ROWS, INDEX, MATCH" formula. In Sheet 3 in column A, I am using an "IFERROR, OFFSET, COUNTA" formula to re-populate the list from Sheet 2. I then am using the column B as a drop down list to give a status to each item in column A.

The problem I'm having is when a change is made to the "master" list in Sheet 1, column A in sheet 3 updates correctly, but column B obviously will not follow with it. Is there any way to achieve this???

Please help...

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Try using named ranges for your "master" list. To set up a dynamic named range, you can use something like this <b>=OFFSET(Lists!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(Lists!$A:$A),1)</b>. Then, for your drop down, set it to use your named range. This way, when a change is made to the master list, the drop box will change accordingly.

Upvote 0
Thanks - I actually am using this alraedy to populate the list itself. Maybe I wasn't explaing it correctly. Let me try again:

I basically have 3 worksheets in a workbook. the first spreadsheet is a free form "Bill of Material" in which users input part numbers into a designated column. This column can be ever growing and dynamic with duplicate and blanks.

In the second worksheet, I have a INDEX/MATCH type formula that re-populates the list, but eliminates any blank or duplicate entries.

In the 3rd worksheet, I have that list without the blanks and duplicates being re-populated using an OFFSET/COUNTA formula into column A. This works completely fine.

The problem that I run into is that in the 3rd worksheet, I am also applying a status in column B to each part number ("complete" or "not complete"). As soon as a user updates the bill of material in the first worksheet, column B in the 3rd worksheet no longer applies to column A because the values in column B are not linked.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back