Need formula to get one value from a column that is either a number, or a N/A, or a blank

elivergara

So, I have a table with rows filled with scores, N/A, 0 (zeroes), and blanks, on different rows (depending on the row value in column A). Only one value appears in each column.

Since these values are scattered in different rows, I have one row above this table that sums each entire table column, to bring these values into one row.
I then plan on using these values on a chart.
The problem is, Excel takes the N/A's and outputs a 0 as the result of the =SUM(B2:B30) for example. and it also returns 0 as the sum of the blank rows.

I only want it to bring up the value on that cell, not sum it, but I don't know what formula would do that.

I have tried to use an IF statement, (if the sum <> 0 show the value, else show " "), and that works to an extent, but it doesn't deal with N/A's, blanks and zeroes. I need zero scores to count, but N/A or blanks to show that value also, so I already know =SUM is not the right formula.

What can I use instead?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Here's an example of what I am trying to achieve. Thanks!
Capture.PNG

Upvote 0
Hello Eli,

From what I saw in your screenshot, what you are trying to achieve is to get the totals (sum) of each columns for the not empty or error values. Well with MS Excel versions of 2010 and up you can take advantages of the AGGREGATE Function to make these calculation. In this particular escenario, the formula that I can suggest you to add or type in into cell B14 is the following:

=AGGREGATE(9, 6, B3:B12)

If you need more information about this formula, please click here to read the documentation. I certainly hope this solution comes handy to what you were looking for.
Greetings from Nicaragua!

Upvote 0
How about
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(B3:B12<>""),B3:B12),"")

Upvote 0
How about
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(B3:B12<>""),B3:B12),"")
Thanks, this worked great because it shows the N/A when it is there, but when the cell is blank, it still returns 0 and I need zeroes to show as zero because a zero score is not the same as a no-results. Dooes that make sense?
Thanks!!

Upvote 0
That's what it does.

+Fluff New.xlsm
ABCDEFG
2score 1score 2score 3score 4score 5score 6
8N/A
14 10080 N/A0
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B14:G14B14=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(B3:B12<>""),B3:B12),"")

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back