Need Help Counting Occurence of Unique Instance in 2 Columns

kbucpa

Hello, all!

I have searched every combination of terms I can think of, but I can't find a solution. If there is one, please send me the link.

I have an workbook which is used as a client tracking sheets (tax clients). As each client comes in, the information is added to columns in a sheet ("2013") as follows:
C - Client Name
D - Type (e.g. 1040)
E - Year
F - Date in
G - Status
And the rest of the columns are populated at different milestones finishing at:
S - Process Date

I need 2 counts. One is the number of "in-house" returns not completed. For that I have something that is working fine.
=COUNTA(C15:C600)-COUNTA(S15:S600)

The 2nd count I need is trickier. I need to count the universe of returns not yet completed. My main obstacles are that on the "2013" sheet, I have duplicates in column C (one client, multiple years) which need to be counted and we are also adding new clients.

Here is my solution:
1. I have a separate sheet ("WORKING") which lists the universe of clients from 2012 in column B and the number 2013 in column C. [Column B is also the Data Validation range for the drop down entry in sheet "2013" column C (Client Name)]
2. At the end of those 2 lists I have a formula pulling each Client Name and Year from the "2013" tab to "WORKING" columns B & C respectively for another 600 rows or so.
3. In the A column, I combine client and year with =IF(B1058<>0,CONCATENATE(C1058," ",B1058),0)
4. Then count the universe (excluding duplicates) with =SUMPRODUCT((A4:A1097<>"")/COUNTIF(A4:A1097,A4:A1097&""))
5. Last, I back out the count of completed returns.

My first problem is that I am getting a generic circular reference each time I open the workbook>

-- removed inline image ---

<colgroup><col width="297"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
I think that this is coming from pulling data which comes from the same data validation range I'm using. But I don't know how to fix it.

I also would like to know if there is a simpler way to do this? I could do it in VBA quick & clean, but that would bug out the end users and they would likely muck something up. Same reason I can't use a 3D add-in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am also deeply grateful to everyone in this forum for helping me learn to code macros in VBA in the past.

[BTW, I would have posted the file, but apparently I don't have that right.]

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back