Need help with a tricky Mapping lookup

smalik

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I will try to explain as best as I can. Please ask questions if wasn't clear in explaining my dilemma.

I have policy level data in Excel from a system (source system). Each row is a record. Each record has names of individuals that perform different roles, e.g., Account Manager, CSR, Producer etc. These roles are in columns called Role-1, Role-2, Role-3 etc.

I need to transfer this data into another system (destination system). Once again each Excel row is a record. However, the destination system has up to 13 options for these roles. The caveat is that these roles are not defined in a standard way. These roles have to be defined each time by the agency. For example, Agency-1 may use "Service Role-1" spot for "CSR" while another agency uses "Service Role-5" spot for CSR.

What is the best way to transfer the data from source system to destination system in the correct file based on the pre-defined table?

My apology, I am using my office computer and they have restricted downloads from outside the company's domain. Therefore, I am unable to use xl2bb add-in. I can only show you pictures.

Here is what I have in the source System. Each row is a record.
1686088597563.png

On a separate tab or even on the same tab, I thought I could map the roles from Source System to Destination System. Column V is the Destination system role options. One role from the source system can go into multiple roles in the destination system, e.g., Role-3 is mapped to Service Role-7 & Service Role-9.

1686089058853.png

The question is how can I tell excel to place the names of each Role from Source to Destination System and get the following results:
Leave the roles columns blank if they are not defined in the above table. For example, Service Role-2 is not defined so it should stay blank in the destination system data file.

1686089180090.png

Thanks for the help in advance.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Try placing the following formula in cell A3 of your 'Destination' sheet (located in the same workbook as your 'Source' sheet) and drag-copying it to the right as needed:
Excel Formula:
=IFNA(INDEX(Source!$P$3:$S$8,0,MATCH(VLOOKUP(A$2,Source!$V$3:$W$15,2,0),Source!$P$2:$S$2,0)),"")

Upvote 1
Solution
Try placing the following formula in cell A3 of your 'Destination' sheet (located in the same workbook as your 'Source' sheet) and drag-copying it to the right as needed:
Excel Formula:
=IFNA(INDEX(Source!$P$3:$S$8,0,MATCH(VLOOKUP(A$2,Source!$V$3:$W$15,2,0),Source!$P$2:$S$2,0)),"")
Awesome .... this works like a charm. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back