writable cells limited by dropdown

angliese

I am in Excel v2016 on Win11...
I am preparing a book catalog for my simple purpose of data entry, that is entry of bibliographic metadata (the usual title, author, etc.).
I have 9 column fields named with an alphanumeric 'code', a simple combination of a number (1-9) and 2 lowercase letters (a-z) .
I had the need to place these various codes in a dropdown for easy and consistent selection and, then, to add to that the actual data of each record.
As a simple example, I have the second column/field ( 2by ) in a dropdown
with listed the various roles of an author (author, editor, translator, etc.) in the data validation of the column.
2by, 2ed, 2tr, 2cm, etc. for the author, the editor, the translator, the commentator, etc .

9M drpdwnQ inMrExcelForum.png

Now my need is to add the actual data to the cell, after having selected the role from the dropdown list, i.e. the actual name of the author|editor|translator|commentator,
like this: 2byHemingway-Ernest
However, the cell is not allowing me to enter any further text to it, being blocked by the Data Validation not allowing me to write anything else in the space after the selected dropdown item :(
I found out, though, that if, in the Data Tab > DataValidation > ErrorAlert, I un-click the selectable box ShowErrorAlert, then I can enter in the cell all kind of extra text, without the DataValidation protesting to have entered any extra, 'un-permitted' text. In this way, with such a a simple solution my problem has been solved :)
My question, now, for you expert guys in this Forum is:
will this made-up 'solution' be tolerated by the Excel system, in the sense that is it possible that, down the line, serious problems shall be created to the sheet/workbook due to this ?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
The risk you have is that if someone else chooses to select the 2by value again for a completed cell (accidentally or just browsing options) the text of the author name will disappear for good, so they will have to have made a note of what it said before, in order to replace it. It might be better to have the "2by" role statuses in a separate column and it would be better to build up author/ editor/ publisher lists, since many authors normally produce many books and publishers publish many many more books

so have a role list (or more) plus have your data items in separate drop downs as well, this would also avoid creating differing names for the same entity

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back