Need help with formula or function for numbers that change monthly

johnanacater

I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how to show my monthly numbers from a budget detail worksheet onto the budget summary worksheet. Here is a sample of what my summary worksheet looks like:
CurMnth YTD Budget
Air Surv 10 245 816
Enf Cas 24 36 1550
Air Perm 26 170 1500

Here is a sample of my monthly detail:

AirSurv EnfCas AirPerm
JUL 235 12 144
AUG 10 24 26
SEP
OCT
NOV
DEC
TOTALS 245 36 170

How do I get each months to show under Current Month and I have a file of the sample data?

Thank you so much Peter SSs, you have helped me to save a lot of duplicated keystrokes.
Cheers, I'm glad you got something that helped. I still just want to sound a word of warning about this formula and your structure. There is no link between the labels on each sheet so things could easily go wrong. Two examples:

1. If you insert a new column among the existing columns on the Detail sheet, the results on the Total sheet will immediately be incorrect, unless you also insert a new row (in the correct place) on that sheet.

2. If somebody decides to sort the Total sheet so Activity Indicators are in alphabetical order, the results will immediately be incorrect.

I think you should consider a re-design of the sheets so the labels can be matched and revert to a formula more like the earlier one I suggested (probably won't be exactly the same because that one was trying to allow for the removal of a space in the name)

It may be that you really want abbreviated lables on the detail sheet and full label on the Total sheet. One way to accommodate that and my suggestion would be to include a new column on the Total sheet. That new column would contain the exact same labels as on the Detail sheet - see below.

Once completed, this new column could be hidden but the formula could use the labels in the hidden column to match with the labels on the Detail sheet.

New formula also included below. Now insertion of a column, sorting etc does not ruin the results.

Excel Workbook
ABC
625/08/2010FY'11
7Current
8ACTIVITY INDICATORSMonth
9Air InvestigationsAir Invest.15
10Air SurveillanceAir Surv.0
11Enforcement CasesEnf. Cases8
12Air Permitting ReviewPermit Reviews26
FY11 Total

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back