Need help with referencing.

ktmiln2

So, here's my deal. I have two separate sheets, one with parcel ID #'s and corresponding names. In the second sheet, I have only a select group of parcel ID #'s, all of which exist in the first sheet (>10%). What I was wondering is how to get my second sheet, with the smaller list of ID's, to go to the first sheet and copy over the corresponding names that go with each Parcel ID. I would do this the old fashion way, but I'm dealing with a couple thousand ID's and am sure there is an easier way.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
On both sheets which column is the Parcel ID and "corresponding name" in? Is it for example. Sheet 1 Column A = Parcel ID, Sheet 2 Column B = Corresponding Name? Same for Sheet 2.

Upvote 0
ktmiln2,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

Depending on the structure of both worksheets, you may be able to use VLOOKUP, or Index Match.

What version of Excel are you using?

You will generally get much more help (and faster) in this forum if you can post your small samples (what you have and what you expect to achieve) directly in the forum.

To attach screenshots, see below in my Signature block: Post a screen shot with one of these:

If you are not able to give us screenshots, see below in my Signature block: You can upload your workbook to Box Net

Upvote 0
ktmiln2,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

Depending on the structure of both worksheets, you may be able to use VLOOKUP, or Index Match.

What version of Excel are you using?

You will generally get much more help (and faster) in this forum if you can post your small samples (what you have and what you expect to achieve) directly in the forum.

To attach screenshots, see below in my Signature block: Post a screen shot with one of these:

If you are not able to give us screenshots, see below in my Signature block: You can upload your workbook to Box Net

I am using Excel 2007. I will try to put a mock together, as the actual file has sensitive information I probably shouldn't share.

Upvote 0
ktmiln2,

Sample raw data in worksheet Sheet1:

Excel Workbook
AB
1Parcel IDName
2B2222ktmiln2
3A1111hiker95
Sheet1

And, in worksheet Sheet2:
Excel Workbook
AB
1Parcel IDName
2A1111hiker95
3B2222ktmiln2
Sheet2

The formula in cell B2, copied down:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE)

You will have to extend the $B$10 to a number larger than the last used row in worksheet Sheet1.

Upvote 0
ktmiln2,

Sample raw data in worksheet Sheet1:

Excel Workbook
AB
1Parcel IDName
2B2222ktmiln2
3A1111hiker95
Sheet1

And, in worksheet Sheet2:

Excel Workbook
AB
1Parcel IDName
2A1111hiker95
3B2222ktmiln2
Sheet2

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE)

You will have to extend the $B$10 to a number larger than the last used row in worksheet Sheet1.

Perfect! Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
ktmiln2,

Or:

Excel Workbook
AB
1Parcel IDName
2A1111hiker95
3B2222ktmiln2
Sheet2

=INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$B,MATCH($A2,Sheet1!$A:$A,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back