Need More Efficient VBA code - Novice

marcn

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Need Help Please Help,

Need simplifications as I am NOT a Vba programmer have just kludged together some code that works but is, Im sure, very inefficient. This for a financial proj model where I am using 3 droplist. Year, Line Item, and Percent. They choose each selection and then I have a button to recalculate each line item.

Issue 1. I created defined Names for each line item and group so I start by goto the defined names and that works, but I can’t figure out why I have to then specify the same specific cells that I name in the above array.

Issue 2 As there are dozens of these I need a easy way to connect (switch) so the choose Yr 2, Line items Sales, and Percentage increase., eg. 5% then it will call up the correct row (or rows) for that year and item. Note I have each Year as separate chart (data).

I do not have time to become a VBA programmer as I only use excel occasionally, like this model.

Any help will be greatly appreciated…

Novice

Marc

VBA Code:
Sub Consult_Monthly_ALL_Yr1()  (NOTE this is example of 3 line items as an array)

'declare variables

Application.Goto Reference:="TCS_ALL_YR1"

Dim ws As Worksheet

Dim rng As Range

Dim myVal As Range

Dim J11 As Integer

Set ws = Worksheets("3a-SalesForecastYear1")

Set rng = ws.Range("c21:N23")

For Each myVal In rng

If J11 < 100 Then

myVal = myVal.Value * ws.Range("H13")

ElseIf J11 > 100 Then

myVal = myVal.Value * ws.Range("H13") + myVal.Value

End If

Next myVal

End Sub

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Need more efficient VBA code solution -for novice
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide a link, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Need more efficient VBA code solution -for novice
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide a link, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
I understand... new at this.

Upvote 0
I could not post the actual link, got auto error telling me I was not allowed. so i placed the name of the forums

Upvote 0
I think you are confusing the sites, there is nothing to prevent you from posting a link to this site, pointing to the other sites where you have asked this question.

Upvote 0
I think you are correct.. very confused... Here you go.

https://www.excelforum.com/exc…r-novice.html#post5288018

I am also further clarifying the code issues since I cannot upload actual WS. Note I did upload them on the ref sites.

Rich (BB code):
  1. Sub Consult_Monthly_ALL_Yr1()
  2. 'declare variables
  3. Application.Goto Reference:="TCS_ALL_YR1" (I use defined name to select and so if I add rows later the relative positions is maintained)
  4. Dim ws As Worksheet
  5. Dim rng As Range
  6. Dim myVal As Range
  7. Dim J11 As Integer
  8. Set ws = Worksheets("3a-SalesForecastYear1")
  9. Set rng = ws.Range("c21:N23") Yet, I cannot figure the code to refer to the above define name... everything I try does not work (not a vba prog). I can only make it work using actual row position which seems wasteful since I defined the position at the beginning...so confused.
  10. For Each myVal In rng
  11. If J11 < 100 Then
  12. myVal = myVal.Value * ws.Range("H13")
  13. ElseIf J11 > 100 Then
  14. myVal = myVal.Value * ws.Range("H13") + myVal.Value
  15. End If
  16. Next myVal
  17. End Sub
  18. As I mentioned and you can see from the attached WS, I have to repeat and modify the code dozens of times to for each combo of Yr, item and percentage. I have to do the same on on other WS.. I am hoping there is a much more efficient way to do this..
  19. thank again for any suggestions

I hope that helps clarify.
Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks for that, you can refer to a named range like
VBA Code:
Set rng = ws.Range("tcs_all_yr1")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back