Need some help converting VBA formula to Evaluate ...

johnnyL

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a couple of VBA formulas that are causing me distress ...

VBA Code:
    Part1 = "INDEX(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$" & LastRowSheet2 & ",AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$1:$A$" & LastRowSheet2 & ")/(RIGHT(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$" & LastRowSheet2 & ",5)=""Total""),ROWS($1:1))),""-Total"","""""
    Range("D2").Formula = "=IFERROR(IFERROR(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(" & Part1 & ")),SUBSTITUTE(" & Part1 & ")),"""")"                                                                  ' works
''    Range("D2").Value = Evaluate("IFERROR(IFERROR(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(" & Part1 & ")),SUBSTITUTE(" & Part1 & ")),"""")")                                                           ' gives #VALUE! error

&

VBA Code:
    Range("S2").Formula = "=IF(OFFSET($N$1,ROW()-1,MATCH((S$1*2),$N$1:$R$1,0)-1)=0,SUMPRODUCT(--('LastRowSheet2'!$A$7:$A$" & LastRowSheet2 & "='Sheet3'!$A2)*('Sheet2'!$C$7:$C$" & LastRowSheet2 & "=$D2)*('LastRowSheet2'!$I$7:$I$" & LastRowSheet2 & "=S$1*2)*('LastRowSheet2'!$L$7:$L$" & LastRowSheet2 & ")),0)"         ' works
''    Range("S2").Value = Evaluate("IF(OFFSET($N$1,ROW()-1,MATCH((S$1*2),$N$1:$R$1,0)-1)=0,SUMPRODUCT(--('Sheet2'!$A$7:$A$" & LastRowSheet2 & "='Sheet3'!$A2)*('Sheet2'!$C$7:$C$" & LastRowSheet2 & "=$D2)*('Sheet2'!$I$7:$I$" & LastRowSheet2 & "=S$1*2)*('Sheet2'!$L$7:$L$" & LastRowSheet2 & ")),0)")  ' gives #VALUE! error

The formulas work fine, but when I try to convert the VBA formulas to Evaluate, the evaluation gives error #VALUE!.

After the evaluation problem is solved, I will need to put the evaluation results down the range, for example D2:D2000 for the first formula.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I don't have Excel on this machine so can't test, but did you double "" ?

A good way to test is print the string to a cell without the equal sign and see if it matches the original formula

Upvote 0
Not test but maybe there should be "=" after the evaluate?

not
Evaluate("IFERROR(

but
Evaluate("=IFERROR(

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response @sheetspread, Yes, the quotes are doubled up as you can see in the first example.

Thank you for the response @bebo021999, With or without the equal sign, it performs the same ... error when trying to use 'Evaluate'.

As I stated the formula versions work fine, the evaluate is what is causing me issues with those two examples.

Upvote 0
If you're sure that the formula is fine even when entered through VBA, then also try explicitly referring to the separate worksheets (you may have done this already).

Upvote 0
To try and get more suggestions I decided to give an example that people can Test with.

EvaluateTest.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
81741-Total-631.50
Sheet2

EvaluateTest.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST
4#VALUE!#VALUE!
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3D3=IFERROR(IFERROR(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(INDEX(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$8,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$1:$A$8)/(RIGHT(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$8,5)="Total"),ROWS($1:1))),"-Total","")),SUBSTITUTE(INDEX(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$8,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$1:$A$8)/(RIGHT(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$8,5)="Total"),ROWS($1:1))),"-Total","")),"")
S3S3=IF(OFFSET($N$1,ROW()-1,MATCH((S$1*2),$N$1:$R$1,0)-1)=0,SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet2!$A$7:$A$8=Sheet1!$A3)*(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$8=$D3)*(Sheet2!$I$7:$I$8=S$1*2)*(Sheet2!$L$7:$L$8)),0)

Here is the sample code that I use that uses the formulas & the evaluates ... as I previously mentioned, the formulas get the correct results, the Evaluates generate errors:
VBA Code:
Sub EvaluateTest()
'
    Dim LastRowSheet2   As Long
    Dim Part1           As String
'
    LastRowSheet2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & Sheets("Sheet2").Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
'
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
        Part1 = "INDEX(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$" & LastRowSheet2 & ",AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$1:$A$" & LastRowSheet2 & ")/(RIGHT(Sheet2!$C$7:$C$" _
                & LastRowSheet2 & ",5)=""Total""),ROWS($1:1))),""-Total"","""""
        .Range("D3").Formula = "=IFERROR(IFERROR(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(" & Part1 & ")),SUBSTITUTE(" & Part1 & ")),"""")"                      ' works
'
        .Range("D4").Value = Evaluate("IFERROR(IFERROR(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(" & Part1 & ")),SUBSTITUTE(" & Part1 & ")),"""")")               ' gives #VALUE! error
'
        .Range("S3").Formula = "=IF(OFFSET($N$1,ROW()-1,MATCH((S$1*2),$N$1:$R$1,0)-1)=0,SUMPRODUCT(--('Sheet2'!$A$7:$A$" & _
                LastRowSheet2 & "='Sheet1'!$A3)*('Sheet2'!$C$7:$C$" & LastRowSheet2 & "=$D3)*('Sheet2'!$I$7:$I$" & LastRowSheet2 & _
                "=S$1*2)*('Sheet2'!$L$7:$L$" & LastRowSheet2 & ")),0)"                                                                  ' works
        .Range("S4").Value = Evaluate("IF(OFFSET($N$1,ROW()-1,MATCH((S$1*2),$N$1:$R$1,0)-1)=0,SUMPRODUCT(--('Sheet2'!$A$7:$A$" & _
                LastRowSheet2 & "='Sheet1'!$A3)*('Sheet2'!$C$7:$C$" & LastRowSheet2 & "=$D3)*('Sheet2'!$I$7:$I$" & LastRowSheet2 & _
                "=S$1*2)*('Sheet2'!$L$7:$L$" & LastRowSheet2 & ")),0)")                                                                 ' gives #VALUE! error
    End With
End Sub

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Upvote 0
You probably should consider a more efficient data structure. Perhaps with VBA to normalize. I know everyone wants a band aid script or monster oversized formula but I advise overcoming that urge.

Upvote 0
@sheetspread your last post in this thread offered zero value to the discussion. If you have nothing to offer, please keep your number of responses to that same amount.

Upvote 0
Ok, I said what you didn't want to hear and may or may not be good advice. I'll try solving it your way.

Upvote 0
Is there a 255 character limit in evaluate? Your formula is 279. A workaround is printing the string to D4 (preceded by an =) then converting to the value.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerifiedBleachersAttendee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back