Need to Display sheet based on today's date

sgibby

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hey,

I'm an excel beginner so please ELI5. I have a spreadsheet for a client that contains color blocks as scheduling. They want to display the color blocks (i.e. the schedule) based on the current date (3 day before, today, a month after to be exact). I'm having a hell of a time making literally anything work. Column G are employees names, you can see the dates in the 4th row ( I started putting in actual dates at August 14th), the rest are jobs assigned to employees (I blocked out the names of their clients for privacy but most of the color blocks are "labeled"). Is this possible? Please help!

iaschedscreenshot.jpg

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hi sgibby, I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve but will give it a go and you may want to practice this first on a blank worksheet if you are really new to excel especially as that one goes all the way back to 2014(!)
As in your example we will use row 3 for the days and row 4 for the numbers.
In A4 enter the date and in B4 enter =A4+1
Now you should have the initial date you typed in in cell A4 and the following date in cell B4 but you don't want full dates you just want 1 - 31.
Highlight the two cells, right click, and select Format Cells which will pop up a box with 6 tabs called Number, Alignment, Font, Border, Fill and Protection - Select Number.
In the number tab you have several formats from General to Custom, Select Custom and on the right hand side there will be a little box called sample that should be showing you the way the date is currently shown on your worksheet and underneath a Type box showing you the format of the way the date is shown (dd/mm/yyyy or something similar) change this to d and click ok.
Now your dates should be just the numbers of the days of the month. Click on B4 and hover the mouse over the bottom right corner of the cell and the mouse indicator will change to a thin black cross, click again and you should now be able to drag that formula along row 4 as far as you like.

In Row 3 on your example you have the days shown as Mon, Tue, Wed and so on so above the first date you entered in cell A3 type =A4 so now you have 2 cells showing the same number. As before, right click and select format but this time in custom type ddd in the Type box and click ok. Now cell A3 should be a day Mon - Fri, as before click on cell A3, hover over the bottom right corner and drag that formula along the row as far as you wish.

Now highlight rows 3 & 4 and click on Conditional Formating, select New Rule. and select rule type Format only cells that contain. This will bring up a box to edit the rule description and you will see a drop down box with Cell Value in it. Click on it and a list comes up, select 'Dates Occuring' in the right hand box that should say Yesterday click and select Today.
Under this is a big box with 'No Format Set' this is what you date box currently looks like, click on the Format button next to it and you will see a palette of colours, pick yhe one you want to highlight today and click OK, the big box should now be the colour you selected, if you're happy with it click OK again and then todays date should be the colour you chose.

Highlight rows 3 & 4 again if they have de-selected and click on conditional formatting again. select New Rule again but this time you are going to use a formula to colour code the next three days. There will be 4 boxes showing, the first will say Cell Value, the second will say between. In the third box type =TODAY()+1 and in the fourth =TODAY()+3 then click on Format button to choose your colour. Lastly we are going to colour code the previous month, as before highlight rows 3 & 4, click on conditional formatting, new rule and as last time you will be formatting depending on a cell value. This time in the third box enter =TODAY()-1 and in the fourth box =TODAY()-31 , click on format, select your colour and OK.
Remember you can change the font colour as well as the fill colour so if you choose a black background you can have white text.

Now you should have days and dates with no ###### and the date ranges you mentioned should all be colour coded and highly visible.
I hope this helps even if it is not exactly what you were after.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back