Need to do a cumulative proportion plot....stats help...

Macca1888

Hi there, im new. :)

...and its turning out in the opposite direction it should!

I am trying to make a couple of plots, but they are not looking like some examples I have.

In the attachment (if i can attach) is my data. I need to make 2 plots (though once it I figure out how to to do the first one I should be ok). I have 3 columns. 1: Deposit Names (irrelevent to this, but around 150 of them), 2: Tonnage for each deposit, 3: Grade for each deposit

Plot 1: Resource Grade (log scale) against the proportion of deposits (linear scale)

Plot 2:Tonnage (log scale) against proportion of deposits (linear scale)

They are meant to cumulative proportion plots. As a line or scattergram. An example of what they are meant to look like is at: http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/ofr962/c11.pdf on Page 4 and 5.

My main problem is that my curve always turns out in the opposite direction to those above. I use Data Analysis > Rank and Percentile to get the cumulative list. (Not sure if that is even the right method)

"Proportion of deposits" is supposed to be a cumulative percentage, so I guess i need know how many of the same number there are, and find out their proportion to the overall.

e.g . all the deposits together = 100%....3 deposits have a tonnage = to 1.5 t which together represents 2% of the total deposits tonnages at a cumulative proportion rate of 12.9% (f I add all the ones below it). I just did that my calculation, though im sure there is an easier way in excel....and thats what im trying to do, and make a plot of them.

Anyone have any idea....or am i even confusing myself?

Btw the way im new....so hello

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Percentile functions give the % BELOW a value while the plots in your link appear to show the % ABOVE a value. Couldn't you just plot 100% - percentile to obtain the desired format?

Upvote 0
Ive posted another forum to increase my chances of help...

http://www.excelforum.com/excel-gen...proportion-plot.html#post1981833[URL] Thanks

Upvote 0
Percentile functions give the % BELOW a value while the plots in your link appear to show the % ABOVE a value. Couldn't you just plot 100% - percentile to obtain the desired format?

I possibly could.... and that would make sense. How exactly would I make it do that. Sorry, ive tried and just cant figure it out.

Upvote 0
Okay I think ive figured the above question out, and now have my plot right....but how do I get the curve line, that is the average line (sorry if thats the wrong word, but stats isnt my best subject)

Upvote 0
Okay I think ive figured the above question out, and now have my plot right....but how do I get the curve line, that is the average line (sorry if thats the wrong word, but stats isnt my best subject)

Does anyone know how to get a smooth curve in plots? for cumulative percentages....1 log, 1 linear?

Upvote 0
Hmmm...so basically i need to make the lognormal plot curve fitted to the mean and variance of the data....

Can anyone please help!! I have less than an hour before I hand this in!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back