need to fill multiple blank cells in 6 columns with unique numbers

skyport

On this one, I am working with data in columns A-F, G is not currently used however, H - AZ are occupied with important info.

Referring only to the data in columns A-F, with a few thousand lines of names and addresses etc, several of the cells contain nothing and are blank.

I need a quick way to assign and fill in each blank cell in that range with a unique number beginning with 1 and then 2, 3, etc etc.

I am hoping this can be done.

To Hiker

Thanks again for helping.

Regarding uploading the workbook, it involves medical patients and therefore prohibited from showing such under HIPAA however, all this is are names of clinics in column A, address in B city in C , Tel number in D, and first and last names in E&F. Absolutely nothing unusual.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Rick And Hiker

I am very happy to say that both programs function now perfectly and I want to thank both of you.

For your ongoing knowledge to help others as you both do, here is what I discovered was causing the problem: When I copied the data in columns A through F and pasted it in a text document to get rid of any formatting, and pasted it back onto the work document, it eliminated all the problems. This indicates to me that when the source of the names, telephone numbers and addresses were copied and pasted onto the Excel work document, it must've carried some formatting that was derailing or interfering with the proper function of the codes even though nothing was showing in the blank cells or in the window above.

I want to thank you both for sticking with me on this and each supplying a much appreciated solution. I have had other solutions to problems from both of you in the past and they have always been very helpful. Thanks to you both.

Upvote 0
skyport,

Thanks for the feedback on your reply #21, and, #22.

You are very welcome. Glad we could help.

And, come back anytime.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back