Need VBA to copy active row and paste it in last row of another sheet

forginganewone

Board Regular
Need macro to copy active row and paste it in xfiles-xsheets-lastrow. With same format and everything.

I've tried this :
<code>Option Explicit

Sub copypasterow()
Dim wbTarget As Workbook
Selection.EntireRow.Copy
Set wbTarget = Workbooks.Open("C:\YOURPATH\FILE.xlsx")
wbTarget.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B1").End(xlDown).Offset(1, -1).PasteSpecial
End Sub

And this:

<code>Option Explicit

Sub copypasterow()
Dim wbTarget As Workbook
Dim Filetarget As String
Dim WorksheetEndRow As Integer

Filetarget = "C:\Users\francesco.dinh\Downloads\asdf.xlsx"

Selection.EntireRow.Copy
Set wbTarget = Workbooks.Open(Filetarget)
WorksheetEndRow = Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
Range("A" & WorksheetEndRow + 1).PasteSpecial
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

It gives me following error :</code></code>[h=2]runtime error 1004 pastespecial method of range class failed[/h]<code><code></code></code>

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Untested, but I think this will copy the active row to the first empty row under the existing data on Sheet1 of the workbook referenced by the wbTarget variable...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy Rows(wbTarget.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlRows, xlPrevious, , , False).Offset(1).Row).Cells(1)[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Untested, but I think this will copy the active row to the first empty row under the existing data on Sheet1 of the workbook referenced by the wbTarget variable...
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy Rows(wbTarget.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlRows, xlPrevious, , , False).Offset(1).Row).Cells(1)[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

It selects active row and opens the target sheet goes in last row but does not paste. Secondly everytime i run the macro it reopens the target workbook, is there someway to disable it ?

Upvote 0
It selects active row and opens the target sheet goes in last row but does not paste.
I have almost never had to work with multiple open workbooks, so I am not completely sure of what the problem is... maybe this will complete the copying...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]wbTarget.[/COLOR][/B]Rows(wbTarget.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlRows, xlPrevious, , , False).Offset(1).Row).Cells(1)[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Secondly everytime i run the macro it reopens the target workbook, is there someway to disable it ?
I think the workbook must be open in order to copy to it. What I think you would need to do is now save the workbook and then close it. I believe executing these two lines of code after executing the above code will do that...
Code:
wbTarget.Save
wbTarget.Close

Upvote 0
I have almost never had to work with multiple open workbooks, so I am not completely sure of what the problem is... maybe this will complete the copying...
Code:
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy wbTarget.Rows(wbTarget.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlRows, xlPrevious, , , False).Offset(1).Row).Cells(1)

I am getting Run-time error '438' : object doesn't support this property or method. On selecting debug it highlights the row of your code.

ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy wbTarget.Rows(wbTarget.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlRows, xlPrevious, , , False).Offset(1).Row).Cells(1)

Upvote 0
Code:
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy wbTarget.[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Sheets("Sheet1").[/COLOR][/B]Rows(wbTarget.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlRows, xlPrevious, , , False).Offset(1).Row).Cells(1)

I am getting Run-time error '438' : object doesn't support this property or method. On selecting debug it highlights the row of your code.
Sorry, I forgot to include the sheet reference... try adding what I show in red above and see if that makes it work.

Upvote 0
Another option
Code:
Sub copypasterow()
Dim wbTarget As Workbook
Dim Filetarget As String
Dim rng As Range

Set rng = activecell

rng.EntireRow.Copy Rows(Cells.find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Offset(1).Row)
End Sub
This will copy to whatever the active sheet is in the target workbook.

Upvote 0
Another option
Code:
Sub copypasterow()
Dim wbTarget As Workbook
Dim Filetarget As String
Dim rng As Range

Set rng = activecell

rng.EntireRow.Copy Rows(Cells.find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Offset(1).Row)
End Sub
This will copy to whatever the active sheet is in the target workbook.

YES !!! Atlast it works !!
Fluff one last thing what if do not want it to open the workbook and just paste there, like if i keep the workbook open so it doesn't open the workbook every time i run the macro. SHould i only delete this line ?
Set wbTarget = Workbooks.Open(Filetarget

Upvote 0
Fluff one last thing what if do not want it to open the workbook and just paste there, like if i keep the workbook open so it doesn't open the workbook every time i run the macro. SHould i only delete this line ?
Set wbTarget = Workbooks.Open(Filetarget
not quite, try
Code:
Sub copypasterow()
Dim wsTarget As Worksheet
Dim rng As Range

Set rng = activecell

Set wsTarget = Workbooks("asdf.xlsx").Sheets("Sheet1")
rng.EntireRow.Copy wsTarget.Rows(wsTarget.Cells.find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Offset(1).Row)
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back