Nested Formula - I think...

GarySmith

New member here, I hope you guys can help?

I have a workbook called Contractor's Bid.

The workbook consists of several worksheets with Tab names.

To keep my question as simple as possible, I want to set a default profit margin on a sheet called "Admin". I can now reference the profit margin % [as a value] into several worksheet formulas and by simply changing the admin sheet cell (that's dedicated to profit, let's say the address of that cell is =Admin!D1), then all worksheet(s) are calculated and they are all calculated with the same profit margin [the data on the Admin sheet in cell D1]. However, there may be times (on specific worksheets) when I don't want to use the "default profit margin".

Can I dedicate a cell on each worksheet and create a conditional statement (if statement?) that says: if(G1>=1) then multiply the sum in G1 rather then the sum of my "default profit margin" on the Admin sheet?

Does that make sense? I hope I am making my question clear?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
You would put something like the following into any cells that need one or the other value:

if($G$1>=1,$G$1,Admin!$D$1)

Upvote 0
That one didn't quite make it...?

So, I have this [where C1, in the formula below, is: =Admin!D1 is set to 10%]

Column A=Qty=1
Column B=Cost=100
Column C=Profit=Admin!D1
Column G=Custom Profit={some number greater than 0}

I am now successfully rendering a correct value for this formula on any cell in the worksheet: =Sum(A1*B1*C1)
The formula will return the value: $10 [1 widget X $100 = $100 X =Admin!D1 = $10]

Can you help with the if statement to return a custom profit margin when and if I enter some value in column G1 is set to, say 20%, but if G1=0, then the default value [=Admin!D1] will be used?

Upvote 0
In Place of C1 in your formula, you would put what I have above. Alternatively, since you seem to be including it in both places on all your sheets, you could change your formula to the following:

=SUM(A1*B1*if(G1>=1,G1,C1))

That said, what I think you are ACTUALLY looking for is when G1 is a non zero value to use that otherwise use a default, in which case you'll want the following:

=SUM(A1*B1*if(G1<>0,G1,C1))

Upvote 0
I actually thought it was off by a factor of 100, but was only because I didn't have the cell formatted to %!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back