Nested If function with restricting formula result

pambard

I have purchase date (A), cost (B), depreciation rate (C), accumulated depreciation (D), in columns A to D and months in columns E onwards. I have used nested "if" function: =ROUND(IF((AND(D2<B2,A2<=$E$1)),B2*C2/12,0),2) to calculate depreciation for each month (in adjucent columns). I want to restrict the depreciation calculated as a result of the formula not to exceed accumulated depreciation. I am unable to do it. Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I have purchase date (A), cost (B), depreciation rate (C), accumulated depreciation (D), in columns A to D and months in columns E onwards. I have used nested "if" function: =ROUND(IF((AND(D2<B2,A2<=$E$1)),B2*C2/12,0),2) to calculate depreciation for each month (in adjucent columns). I want to restrict the depreciation calculated as a result of the formula not to exceed accumulated depreciation. I am unable to do it. Any suggestion is highly appreciated. (Excel 2007)

Upvote 0
There will be these signs in the formula "<" and ">" so the trick is to post the formula with added spaces before and after these characters.

See my signature!

Upvote 0
I have purchase date (A), cost (B), depreciation rate (C), accumulated depreciation (D), in columns A to D and months in columns E onwards. I have used nested "if" function: =ROUND(IF((AND(D2 < B2,A2 < = $E$1)),B2*C2/12,0),2) to calculate depreciation for each month (in adjucent columns). I want to restrict the depreciation calculated as a result of the formula not to exceed accumulated depreciation. I am unable to do it. Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Does it mean:
Cumulative total of depreciation calculated in Column E onwards shall not exceed the total in D2?

You can post a sample data using Excel Jeanie and expected results so that it is easier to understand the situation.

Upvote 0
Does it mean:
Cumulative total of depreciation calculated in Column E onwards shall not exceed the total in D2?

You can post a sample data using Excel Jeanie and expected results so that it is easier to understand the situation.

Thanks Taurean, here is a sample.

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1Purchase dateCostDepre rateAccumulated depreApr-11
213-Mar-10* 40,609.0025%* 40,608.00* * 846.02
3Result in E2 should not exceed D2****
Sheet1

Upvote 0
I have still not understood your requirement. The layout is now clear to me.

In the case shown E2 is not exceeding D2? Or have I understood it wrong?

Upvote 0
I apologize for not properly forming my question.

Accumulated depreciation is the beginning balance to which monthly depreciation will be added. So the accumulated depreciation plus month's depreciation should not exceed total cost. In this case, column E should return only $ 1 and not $ 846.02 which the formula returns. The depreciation then will be $ 40609.00 (column D + column E).

At any point, the result of the formula if added to the accumulated depreciation should not exceed total purchase cost in column B.

Hope it is clear.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I apologize for not properly forming my question.

Accumulated depreciation is the beginning balance to which monthly depreciation will be added. So the accumulated depreciation plus month's depreciation should not exceed total cost. In this case, column E should return only $ 1 and not $ 846.02 which the formula returns. The depreciation then will be $ 40609.00 (column D + column E).

At any point, the result of the formula if added to the accumulated depreciation should not exceed total purchase cost in column B.

Hope it is clear.

Thanks.
OK, now it is clear to me. This should work as intended.
=ROUND(IF((AND(D2 < B2,A2 < =$E$1)),IF((B2*C2/12) > (B2-D2),B2-D2,B2*C2/12),0),2)
Note: Remove spaces in the above formula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suz0718

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back