Newbie Question - Combining tables

Javlin7

Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm new to Power Pivot, am working though Rob Collies book, but I'm also trying to solves some issues while I'm at it.

I have a problem which I'm sure is a simple one to solve, I just can't work it out.

I have created a power pivot with the following tables

Opening Stock
Production
Despatches

Each row in the tables have a unique production event ID called "CAST"

The problem I have is showing the three tables as a sensible pivot...
There are cast ID's in opening stock that don't appear in the production table
The Production Table contains all new CAST id's (ie they don't exist in the opening stock table)
Despatches table contains a mix of Opening stock Cast ID's and Production Cast ID's

My pivot table ends up showing values by Cast for the production table, but only a total against a blank cast for the other two tables.....

How can I make the pivot show all the casts ie 1-100 as opposed to only showing say 35-100 ?

Thanks
Mike

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hey Mike.

If you're working through Rob's book, it seems to me, you are now starting on "Thinking in Multiple Tables" p 75.

This an an introduction to dimensional modeling which sounds a lot harder than what it is. In short to do things the Power Pivot way you need to have dimension tables and a fact table(s). Looking at your tables it is not immediately clear which is which.

If you want to continue giving examples from Rob's book that would be good or if you want to work me on some of these ideas for free schedule a 1/2 hour meeting with to discuss. I would welcome the chance to see how effective I am in conveying these ideas to others. Please book me here, https://www.sohelpful.me/gregorykramer

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back