Non-Use of Excel Help

I sit very much on the fence... people that fail to use the basic help function (or RECORD for VB) is annoying BUT ONLY if they're impolite which is rare. Is there not another way to look at this? A lot of problems are repetitive. Is it possible to set up a BRIEF area on the forum that contains FAQ's? With sample answers? For this I am referring to things like INDEX, MATCH, LOOKUPS, INDIRECT and perhaps at VB level things like a basic FOR EACH loop.

Obviously the advantage of this forum is that it enables those in need of help to tap into a very large pool of Excel resources (developers). That is something special, but by having a FAQ's page we may be able to help people without them having to post - (there could be a pop up that tells new users or guests to check out the FAQ first).

Disclaimer: Read this if you've got a few minutes to kill, I got carried away writing this post.

All I've got to say about the help file is that learning how to use it is one of the landmark events in learning how to use Excel and every other software package in the world. This is purely from a VBA standpoint and this comes from my reasonably recent introduction to VBA. (4 years ago) I used to ask my flatmate for help when I started out using VBA and he used the help file for just about everything. I still use it today for the syntax of just about every function I use, even if I've used it 1000 times. However, just because you know the help file is there and you can open it, it doesn't mean that you can read it or find things in it. That skill took me about 9 months to master and I was forced to do that because I wasn't aware of forums like this. (not that I had 'net access in work anyway)

For me, the learning experience started with needing to do something. This led to banging my head against a wall, this led to numerous trips to the local library to find books to help me, which led to more wall punishment, which led to asking my flatmate, which led to help file, which led back to books and finally it's led to this forum. The only thing that I never tried was taking classes. I've taken a class in Access and that sucked. I truly believe that no one can teach you anything useful in a class about Excel apart from the basics:

How to open a file
What Excel is
What VBA is
How to enter a formula
How to create a VBA userform

Everything else you need to learn through necessity, and if you can define what you need to know you're already fought half the battle. (then places like ozgrid.com and other training centres for one on one or small group learning becomes useful, but only if you have an idea of what you are trying to accomplish)

If I was learning VBA today and I had found this forum I'd probably be at the stage where I don't know how to use the help file and I'd still have only banged my head against the first wall. However, I bet I would have made more progress before hitting the help file (which would have been suggested to me here) and before I had to research which books I wanted to use to help me progress. It goes back to what some people have already stated in this thread, the non-use of the Help file can be put down to laziness. Which is only partially true. There's no sense in reinventing the wheel. There's no sense in banging your head against a wall either when there are people available to help you do something in 5 minutes, which may have taken you 5 hours to sort. In this "modern" working environment, efficiency is the key and the more quickly and accurate you can perform a task the better it is all round. 99% of the time, asking an expert is the fastest way to accomplish something, but sometimes it is worth spending 5 hours banging your head against the wall. My limited troubleshooting skills come solely from spending days trying to get one line of code to work at various points. This too is a vital skill, but it is undervalued in the workplace today because the emphasis is on speed more than accuracy.

Wow, that was my one thing I had to say about the help file! I've only had one cup of coffee today. :)

(incidentally, in the VBE hitting "F2" is also a really useful thing to do as well)

On 2002-10-29 10:48, Mark O'Brien wrote:
[...]

For me, the learning experience started with needing to do something. This led to banging my head against a wall, this led to numerous trips to the local library to find books to help me, which led to more wall punishment, which led to asking my flatmate, which led to help file, which led back to books and finally it's led to this forum.

So, you deduce...

[...]
The only thing that I never tried was taking classes. I've taken a class in Access and that sucked. I truly believe that no one can teach you anything useful in a class about Excel apart from the basics:

How to open a file
What Excel is
What VBA is
How to enter a formula

& start questioning my job...:devilish: BTW, I don't teach what you seem to call basics at all. :biggrin:

Everything else you need to learn through necessity, and if you can define what you need to know you're already fought half the battle.

I think that chances are very slim you will ever muster molecular biology or topology if these things have not been already hammered in by "stupid teachers" :biggrin: while you were not older than ~30.

Aladin
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-10-29 12:22

I agree with Aladin in that I think a lot can be learned from courses with the exception of VB - I don't think I have ever seen a course for VB - or not one that goes beyond recording the most basic functions...i.e copy and paste to reduce repetitive tasks. Teaching Excel I can imagine to be quite tricky - it's all about syntax - some people "get it" straight away :), others don't :(

This is purely from a VBA standpoint and this comes from my reasonably recent introduction to VBA.

Aladin, I had you in mind when I wrote that line. :biggrin:

Although my intention of this

I truly believe that no one can teach you anything useful in a class about Excel apart from the basics:

How to open a file
What Excel is
What VBA is
How to enter a formula

was meant to be more of an application specific reference rather than relational design philosophy. (or whatver it is you teach :p )

I'm not arguing about proper spreadsheet stuff, because I would lose. :biggrin:
This message was edited by Mark O'Brien on 2002-10-29 14:47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back