Novice needing help

Clarel2303

Platform
  1. Windows
Hi 🖐️

I decided to set myself a challenge to create myself a debt tracker. Not having much experience using Excel, I have managed to get so far watching video tutorials.

However, there is one issue that I haven't been able to find a solution for; it could be that there simply isn't one, or I am not searching using the correct terminology 🙈

I have set the spreadsheet so that £0.00 returns blank but due to one of the debts being cleared with a balance of £0.002, this returns £0.00. Not only that but when I scroll down several months the balance then increases to £0.01 (due to the interest). I just want the balance column to return blank once the debt is paid off.

Can anybody point me in the right direction, or is this something that can't be resolved?

Thanks in advance :)

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Welcome to the Board!

I am not quite sure I understand what the issue is. Is it a rounding issue?
If you want to round off your result to just 2 decimal places, wrap you current formula in the ROUND function, i.e.
Rich (BB code):
=ROUND(your formula,2)

If that is not it, it might be better to show us an example of what is going on so we can see your data and formulas.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

I am not quite sure I understand what the issue is. Is it a rounding issue?
If you want to round off your result to just 2 decimal places, wrap you current formula in the ROUND function, i.e.
Rich (BB code):
=ROUND(your formula,2)

If that is not it, it might be better to show us an example of what is going on so we can see your data and formulas.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.
Hi Joe4

Thank you for your reply.

I tried the ROUND formula but it would appear this is not what I am looking for.

I have a columns set up; one for monthly payments, one for monthly interest and one for running balance. In the running balance I have used the formula e.g. =SUM(H24,H27,-G27). So the previous balance (H24) plus the interest amount (H27) then minus the payment amount (G27).

This works perfectly, until the final payment is made, returning a £0.00 running balance. However, the balance isn't completely £0.00 it's £0.00178. This is preventing it returning blank and showing the balance increasing back to £0.01 several months later.

I hope that makes more sense 😬 if not, I will take a look at the "Test Here" forum.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
However, the balance isn't completely £0.00 it's £0.00178.
I think you are missing what I am saying.
Apply the ROUND formula to the calculation that is returning 0.00178 so that it returns 0.00 instead!
You can even apply this formula to ALL of your calculations, if you like.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back