ODBC connections for multiple queries. Any way for users to enter password only ONCE? Not using Save?

9tanstaafl9

Hi there, thanks for looking at my issue. I think it's a simple question but I'm a newbie with regards to ODBC.

I have a workbook that has multiple queries, each on it's own tab. When I run the report my macro refreshes all the queries, and it makes the user enter their user name and password more than 10 times.

I would like to do one of two things. EITHER make it so that when the ODBC window pops up to request user id/password that I only have to have them enter it once, OR find out if there is some way to have my macro collect this information at the beginning and store it somewhere where the ODBC connection can get to it. Either way is fine.

Every time I looked this problem up I found answers that just said to click the SAVE checkbox to store the password. This is not an option for security reasons. I do want them to have to enter their password, but since it is the same for all the queries it seems ridiculous to have to enter it multiple times.

Again I know almost nothing about ODBC/connection strings etc. I managed to get it to work previously through trial and error, and our old database didn't have security, I only needed to get the path right.

Here is what it looks like now (Excel 2010):

Code:
DSN=Visual FoxPro Tables;UID=;SourceDB=PATHGOESHERE;SourceType=DBF;Exclusive=No;BackgroundFetch=Yes;Collate=Machine;Null=Yes;Deleted=Yes;

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Also, if you know or strongly suspect this to be impossible PLEASE TELL ME. That is a valid answer also. Then I can proceed with plan B.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back