Office 365 wb macro locked out, OK on older versions

picklefactory

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi folks
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I have an .xlsm WB saved in a network folder we've been using for years, no changes, no problems. We access it from 4 machines around the office. Just recently, and only on the 2 machines running latest 365, it fails to run the VBA or even allow me access to it. The same file still works perfectly on the 2 old machines still running Office 2010. I can't tell exactly when this occurred but certainly only in the last couple of weeks and was running fine on 365 mid-December definitely. It's not even a complicated one, it just opens a userform on WorkbookOpen and just a couple of sheet select/print functions, really simple stuff. If I double click on 'ThisWorkbook' in Project Explorer to check the OnOpen code, it just ignores me and won't even display the code window for ThisWorkbook, or RMC and select 'View Code' same, just ignores me. I get no error messages or alerts at all, it just fails to function.
Anyone else at all?
Cheers

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
All I can think of is that for the updated pc's the Trusted Locations got messed up. Not clear if you're saying you can't view the code on any pc or just the ones where the code doesn't work but I think it is the latter.

Upvote 0
Thanks Micron
I'll check it out, but usually you get an alert relating to macros or Active X etc if it's a trust issue, this gives absolutely no errors, alerts, warnings of any kind at all, it just fails to function and ignores any attempt to view any code at all actually. Even if I try and open a new code window for any of the sheets..... just ignores me and does nothing at all.

Upvote 0
All I can think of is that for the updated pc's the Trusted Locations got messed up. Not clear if you're saying you can't view the code on any pc or just the ones where the code doesn't work but I think it is the latter.
PS, it's only the 2 machines where it doesn't function that I can't view any code at all, the 2 older machines everything works normally and all the VBA is freely accessible.

Upvote 0
AFAIK, in Excel the vba editor shows sheets in the project list even if they have never had any code behind them (that is a different sort of behaviour than Access) so I wonder if you have any modules that are showing in the list but you can't view the code in them. Or maybe you have/had no modules (or userforms for that matter).

EDIT - you're not using this over the cloud (e.g. One Drive) I hope. And it is the exact same file that the problem pc's are using and not just a copy of it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Micron.
I'm now finding all sorts of weird things happening now with Excel across numerous machines, even more today. I have another unrelated WB that is quite VBA heavy that I have tried and tested and worked fine, and now just won't run even on my machine, where I created and used it yesterday. I think this is going to be some sort of Microsoft or Office update issue, or maybe network. I'll move them to my local pc and see if they run then, I have had macro related issues before where there was a network related issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back