OLAP Cubes

Genius069

Not sure if this is the right area

Anyone here use them on a regular basis? I just started and need a good starting point. I went through most of the stuff that comes up from google.

I am looking for advice, suggestions on a good site/book and programs you use to create the cubes. Just to give you an idea, I am currently using excel and pivot tables and I can barely trim the data down to less then 65K rows. I would like to look at 300K+ rows of data to start with and then move to about 2million rows of data if possible.

I used the OLAP cube maker in MS Query editor but it keeps crashing on me, I think it has to do w/ the amount of data I am pulling in (300K lines)

I have a P4 3.0 ghz, 1gig ram and XL 2K and enough storage on the desktop and network.

TIA

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi
How about using Access? It sounds like just the tool for the volume of records you have.
Andrew

Upvote 0
You could definitely store the data in Access, and then build some filters to pull it down to Excel. This could be achieved either with MS Query or through using ADO.
If you want to check out some open-source products, look here. The bigger OLAP solutions like Microsoft Analysis Services, Cognos, TM1 and Hyperion all cost big money.

Hope this helps

Denis

Upvote 0
How does it 'crash'? I am trying to do something with a similar amount of data and i keep getting the following error after a few minutes of it trying to create the cube.

Cube file could not be written. Edit cube definition to try again. If updating an existing cube, make sure that the file is not being used by Excel or some other program.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back