Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have a file with several scripts running in which users enter various code using barcodes and for the most part it work fine but the code reader sometimes write random stuff. I added a check to discard that stuff but there's an issue when it write something that excel cannot accept like =dada

In that exemple Excel will accept what's written and simply display in the cell that it doesn't know what function it is, but then my script try to load the value and error 13 will appear. I'm trying to capture this error to reset and clear the cell. But On error Goto Retry fail to stop the error from being written on screen.
Here's the first few lines of script:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
On Errror GoTo Retry
If ActiveWorkbook.Name = "horodateur.xlsm" Then
If Target.Offset(-1, 0).Value = "QUITEXCEL" Then

When the error pop in it'll show on screen and debug send me to the 4th line because it tried to read the value of the cell.
The questions:
1.1) Why this error isn't captured.
1.2) Is there a way to put the on error somewhere else that would trigger? I assume no since it is this script that do cause the error (this is in sheet1 object)
2) Also is there a simple way to discard mathematical error too? Like if it type +1..1 that would cause excel to ask to confirm the formula?

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Error probably shows when you select cell in row 1 because you are referencing offset(-1,0) what gives error because there is no row number 0 (just guessing).
Also I recommend to add:
VBA Code:
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

Upvote 0
Error probably shows when you select cell in row 1 because you are referencing offset(-1,0) what gives error because there is no row number 0 (just guessing).
Also I recommend to add:
VBA Code:
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
No. The active cell is A2 and after typing something in it you end up in A3 and the script check the cell above (A2), if aaccepted it add a new line on 2nd line and select A2. When the error happen you are in A3 and it's looking correctly at A2's value.

Upvote 0
Correct the spelling of your On Errror (currently has 3 r's and should be On Error) and I think you will find the issue disappears.

Upvote 0
Solution
Correct the spelling of your On Errror (currently has 3 r's and should be On Error) and I think you will find the issue disappears.
That would indeed be a solution. For other reading this thread; if you try to load .value from an cell in error you will get a vba error but if you load .formula instead you will not. So if you are working mostly with text like me this can be a solution also.

@Alex do you have an idea about question 2?

Upvote 0
What do you want Excel to do when there is a formula error that it doesn't know how to fix ?

Upvote 0
Scrape the cell content. None of the barcode provided have formulas it's all text based. Only missfires from the reader would cause formula errors.

Upvote 0
I would need to know about your process.
  • The formula error we are talking about here only arises when you are entering data.
  • This triggers a worksheet change event.
  • Your are using a worksheet selection change event (when you move to another cell)
  • The error / dialogue box occurs "before" either of the above event procedures run.
  • "Only missfires from the reader would cause formula errors."
    How is this getting into the cell ? If it always in the same columns and you are not doing arithmetic operations with the barcode "number", if you preformat the columns as "Text" it should solve the issue of any entries being mistaken for formulas and triggering a formula error.
Anyway just food for thought.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back