Opening a File with a Variable as a Filepath and Filename

Pete81

I have some code which will create and save a new file in to a folder named after the value in cell A1, and also name the file after the value in cell A1 (e.g. C:\Folders\test\test.xlsm, where "test" is the value in A1). This is if the file does not already exist, so I have set this code up as an IF function. If it file already exists, then I want the code simply to open it. My code for that part is here:

Code:
Else
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Folders\" & Range("A1").Text & "\" & Range("A1").Text

When I run this macro for a new file, one is created exactly where I need it and in the correct format. However, when I run the macro again, I receive this error:

"Run-time error '1004':
Sorry, we couldn't find C:\Folders\. Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"

The way in which I have structured the filename above in the code for opening the file is the same structure I have used for creating a new one. What am I doing wrong here?

I see you have never tested code before. The test code doesn't "DO" anything. When you run through the code line by line, you will eventually reach the lines where the test code is. After it runs the test code, you simply put your cursor over the variable named myTestString. Originally myTestString was equal to "", but after the code ran it should be equal to your variable name. myTestDir should be equal to "" before it runs that line, and after it runs that line it should still be equal to "". If it equals something else which I'm pretty sure it does, we will know what the problem is. You need to find out what myTestDir equals. The problem is that for some reason, the code is never entering the "Else" part of the if statement. I believe it has something to do with whatever the results of myTestDir will give you.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi again,

I've reworked the Else part of the argument and it now seems to be working, provided the file is not already open:

Code:
Sub CreateOrOpen()

If Len(Dir("C:\Folders\" & Range("A1").Text & "\" & Range("A1").Text & ".xlsm", vbDirectory)) = 0 Then
Workbooks.Add.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Folders\" & Range("A1").Text & "\" & Range("A1").Text, FileFormat:=52
Else
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Folders\" & Range("A1").Text & "\" & Range("A1").Text
End If

End Sub

Thanks again for the help WarPigl3t.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back