Opening a Query from Excel 2003 - Overflow Problem

Joe Wes

I have a query (in MS Query) from an external data source saved that exceeds the row limit when opened in Excel 2003 (running on Windows 2000 Professional). I get the error message "file not loaded completely". However, when I create the query with the wizard, it gives me an option to organize the data into a pivot table before downloading it, thus avoiding this problem. How do I open an existing query (not recreate it), but also keep the data details out of sight, and display only a pivot table?

I tried putting the data into an OLAP cube from the data source, but this seems to do the summarization outside of Excel, so that the resulting pivot table is not drillable. I want to be able to drill into the data cells, as happens when the pivot table is created with the MS Query wizard.

Thank you.

Opinions expressed are the sender’s and are not necessarily the opinion of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">County</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">San Diego</st1:PlaceName></st1:place>.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back