Opening Excel File and encounter error message about internet server

fornight

Hi,

I have a problem that only happens to me and not other users of the excel file.

I have a workbook that is make up two worksheets. They are all drafted from scratch (not by me!), thus not downloaded copy from any internet server/website.

the worksheets are fairly simple but they have a lot of links to other excel files in the same location (different folders). Since it has links to other files, it will ask whether I wish to update the links when I open it. I need the data to be updated, thus I always click yes. When the program tries to update the data (a really long time compared to others opening the same file), a message prompt will appear:

"Unable to open http://xxxxx. Cannot locate the internet server or proxy server."

I will need to click OK to get rid of it.

I recognize the http web address. It is an address to a report (nVision - xnv) in one of our financial system but the file I am trying to open has nothing to do with this system. Yes, I do download nVision report from the financial system but so do other users of the file and it is only me who has this problem.

The file I am opening has no macro at all so it cannot be visual basic behind the scene. I tried to use the search feature in Excel to look for hidden hyperlink in the file and found none.

How can I eliminate this problem?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
You should try following tool it will help you zip repair program restores corrupted .zip archives by reason of crc errors, corrupted zip file from Internet - your case, viruses and so on.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a problem that only happens to me and not other users of the excel file.

I have a workbook that is make up two worksheets. They are all drafted from scratch (not by me!), thus not downloaded copy from any internet server/website.

the worksheets are fairly simple but they have a lot of links to other excel files in the same location (different folders). Since it has links to other files, it will ask whether I wish to update the links when I open it. I need the data to be updated, thus I always click yes. When the program tries to update the data (a really long time compared to others opening the same file), a message prompt will appear:

"Unable to open http://xxxxx. Cannot locate the internet server or proxy server."

I will need to click OK to get rid of it.

I recognize the http web address. It is an address to a report (nVision - xnv) in one of our financial system but the file I am trying to open has nothing to do with this system. Yes, I do download nVision report from the financial system but so do other users of the file and it is only me who has this problem.

The file I am opening has no macro at all so it cannot be visual basic behind the scene. I tried to use the search feature in Excel to look for hidden hyperlink in the file and found none.

How can I eliminate this problem?

Hi,

Have you solve this issue?
We also encountered the same when we ran nVision drilldown.
Please let us know how you solve this issue.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacob_mcbride

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back