Parent/Child visual help

mrguardi

I am running into issues trying to get a data set in the preferred visual format for the folks I am supporting. I've messed around with just normal sorting, pivot tables, and creating a hierarchy in power pivot. My VBA skills are at the level of googling code for what i am attempting to do but I didn't come up with anything that worked for this case.

Below is some dummy data I threw together. The actual data has dozens more columns with data I would have to the right of the desired output. It's all coming from a query with 25k rows and items get added & dropping off throughout the day.

It could go a few layers deeper than this but for a visual, 4 felt plenty. Ultimately I am trying to take the data in columns A:F and have it generate the end result in column I:J which I did manually here for illustration. The color coding was just a visual aid for myself to create the dummy data.

I feel like this is a simple thing and I am just missing something stupid. Any help is greatly appreciated!

example data.xlsb
ABCDEFGHIJ
1Job descTitleParentGrandparentGreat grandparentHelperDesired output = TitleJob desc
21AAA1
32BA B E5
43CA C F6
54DA D B2
65EA E G7
76FA F H8
87GBA G I9
98HBA H Z10
109IBA I Q16
1111JCA J R17
1212KCA K C3
1313NDA N J11
1414ODA O K12
1515PDA P D4
1616QZBA Q N13
1717RZBA R O14
1810ZBA Z P15
Baseline
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:F18F2=IF(COUNTA(B2:E2)=1,B2,IF(COUNTA(B2:E2)=2," "&B2,IF(COUNTA(B2:E2)=3," "&B2,IF(COUNTA(B2:E2)=4," "&B2))))

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: https://www.excelforum.com/excel-pr...49-parent-child-relationship-visual-help.html
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back