pause a macro after a message box comes up

still learning

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
How would I pause this macro till the user moves the cursor?
VBA Code:
Sub numberoffill() 
Dim I As Long
MsgBox " put cursor on start "
For I = 1 To 6
tofillrows
Next I
lastrow
End Sub

mike

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
AFAIK, the message box is modal, so code will not advance until it is dismissed. That means mouse events won't fire before that (e.g. cursor movement) so it's not clear (to me at least) what it is that you want to happen.

EDIT -now thinking that you want code to resume when user dismisses the message but not until user places cursor somewhere. I don't think you can, but the right approach might be to use a mouse event and the coordinates of the cursor. I believe that event would be MouseMove (at least it would be in Access).

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Micron
yea. after the user starts the macro from an icon on the ribbon, the message box will tell the user to move the cursor to where the next macro should start. The next macro will change the fill color of a few cells across, drop down two lines and do it again for 6 times. Then the cursor will find the last cell in "A" and move to 1 cell below.
The "START" is always changing. I had a input box that the user would enter the cell number in, but i was wondering if i could make it different (easier) !!!
I've never used ACCESS
I'll go back to using the input box.
Thanks for your time.

mike

Upvote 0
You probably should be using the sheet SelectionChange event. When user selects (mouse, Enter or Tab key) this event runs. You can verify that the selected cell is in a column, row, cell address or range if you want (and proceed if so or cancel if not). You might even just use sheet BeforeDoubleClick or BeforeRightClick event and capture the exact cell you want to use as the anchor/starting point (but I think not if it's to be a range of cells). If you stick with an input box, use type 8 because it captures a range address as the input, and this can be 1 cell or a range of cells.

Upvote 0
With a couple of win32 calls, you can mimic a 'Modeless' Msgbox which will allow the user to select worksheet cells while the MsgBox is on display and then the code will resume after the MsgBox is dismissed.

1- Place this code in a new Standard Module:
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function EnableWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As LongPtr, ByVal fEnable As Long) As Long
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function SetTimer Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As LongPtr, ByVal nIDEvent As LongPtr, ByVal uElapse As Long, ByVal lpTimerFunc As LongPtr) As LongPtr
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function KillTimer Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As LongPtr, ByVal nIDEvent As LongPtr) As Long
#Else
    Private Declare Function EnableWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal fEnable As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function SetTimer Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIDEvent As Long, ByVal uElapse As Long, ByVal lpTimerFunc As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function KillTimer Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIDEvent As Long) As Long
#End If

Public Sub Make_MsgBox_Modeless()
    Call SetTimer(Application.hwnd, 0&, 0&, AddressOf MakeModeless)
End Sub

Private Sub MakeModeless()
    Call KillTimer(Application.hwnd, 0&)
    Call EnableWindow(Application.hwnd, -1&)
    Application.Cursor = xlDefault
End Sub

2- Usage
VBA Code:
Sub Test()
    Call Make_MsgBox_Modeless
    MsgBox "Put cursor on start"
    'Do something on Start cell(s) after dismissing the MsgBox.
    ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Interior.Color = vbRed
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back