Percentage Allocation Variance

ExcelNewbie2020

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Sirs,
In column E, the total number is 65 but if you will going to sum it manually its only 64. I know its due to the decimal because of 65/170 of 38%.

My question is, is there a function/formula like rounding up/down that i can use that even there is a decimal it can still result to 65?.. Also the 65/170 is changing regularly.. thanks

Book1
CDEF
238%Allocation Percentage (65/170)
4QTYAllocation (QTY* (65/170)
5Tyson Sullivan21
6Neo Bassett4015
7Gilbert Peck2710
8Harlee Bonner2510
9Bryce Evans31
10Howard George31
11Winifred Bloggs104
12Fionn Bate31
13Zayan Waller93
14Emaan Vinson83
15Nazim Adkins83
16Lee Mayo42
17Richie O'Doherty114
18Kieron Wharton145
19Benedict Hinton31
20Total17065
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=65/170
E5:E19E5=D5*$C$2
D20:E20D20=SUM(D5:D19)

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
In order for the total shown to match each of the values, you should use the ROUND formula in your function.
Even though you aren't showing the decimal portion of each calculation, it is still there (even though you cannot see it), and is being included in the total.

So you should use the formula:
Excel Formula:
=ROUND(D5*$C$2,0)
in column E instead.
If you do that, it will correctly return the total for column E of 64 (as that is what each of those individual numbers add up to).

Upvote 0
In order for the total shown to match each of the values, you should use the ROUND formula in your function.
Even though you aren't showing the decimal portion of each calculation, it is still there (even though you cannot see it), and is being included in the total.

So you should use the formula:
Excel Formula:
=ROUND(D5*$C$2,0)
in column E instead.
If you do that, it will correctly return the total for column E of 64 (as that is what each of those individual numbers add up to).
thank you for the response.. the total i am looking for is also 65, either manually or by using sum function..

Upvote 0
Then you will need to add 1 to one of the individual records listed.
How you decide which one to add 1 to is up to you.

If you wanted to do it with a formula, you could replace the last formula in column E, i.e.
in cell E19, change the formula to this:
Excel Formula:
=ROUND(D20*C$2$,0)-SUM(E5:E18)
That will change the value in cell E19 from 1 to 2, and now your total will be 65.

Upvote 0
Then you will need to add 1 to one of the individual records listed.
How you decide which one to add 1 to is up to you.

If you wanted to do it with a formula, you could replace the last formula in column E, i.e.
in cell E19, change the formula to this:
Excel Formula:
=ROUND(D20*C$2$,0)-SUM(E5:E18)
That will change the value in cell E19 from 1 to 2, and now your total will be 65.
thanks... however, as you can see, there are 4 names that have a qty of 3. increasing the last name may get conflict with the others.. i got your idea to increase by 1 and already tried that.. i am looking for a dynamic formula (if possible)so i can avoid the manual increase..

Upvote 0
thanks... however, as you can see, there are 4 names that have a qty of 3. increasing the last name may get conflict with the others.. i got your idea to increase by 1 and already tried that.. i am looking for a dynamic formula (if possible)so i can avoid the manual increase..
You didn't like the formula I gave you?

If not, you need to explain to us the logic for exactly how it should be determined which record to adjust.

Upvote 0
You didn't like the formula I gave you?

If not, you need to explain to us the logic for exactly how it should be determined which record to adjust.
thanks man, really appreciated..I don't know if its possible, the idea is to apply the same formula on E5:E19 that is somehow the total will be at 65 (manually or by sum) then they will look equally distributed based on percentage.

Upvote 0
thanks man, really appreciated..I don't know if its possible, the idea is to apply the same formula on E5:E19 that is somehow the total will be at 65 (manually or by sum) then they will look equally distributed based on percentage.
That is not possible, especially since you are rounding the values!

For a simple demonstration, consider this example:
- Split 10 equally among 3 people, usually only whole numbers (no decimals).
It cannot be done! The closest you can get is 3, 3, and 4.

This is exactly the problem you are facing.
You need some method of determining who to give (or take) the "extra" one to.
If it doesn't matter, and can be random, then the formula I gave you already does EXACTLY that (the last person in the list is the one who is adjusted).

If it does matter which one needs to be adjusted, then YOU need to tell us how we determine which one to give (or take) the extra one to in order to make it equal the original number.
We need to know the logic you want to use to determine exactly which one should be adjusted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back