Percentage growth between two dates

Gettingbetter15

Hi,
This is a two part question:
1) I want to be able to calculate a cumulative (running) percentage of growth/loss between the current date and the first date. The formula I'm using (=D85*(365/A86-A2, where D85=39.48, A86=Today(), and A2=1.1.17) is yielding an incorrect response of 3958.85%. On 1.1.17 the beg balance was 5000.00. On 12.31.17 it was 5039.48. Here I want to know on any given day what my gain or loss is from the original value.

2) Similarly, I'm looking for a way to calculate a YTD (different from the above cumulative) percentage of growth/loss and I think this formula (E9=(365/28, where E9=the monthly %+/- value (in this case +.30%) and the month is February so 28 days) is also incorrect bc the result is 3.89%. There was no growth or loss in Jan. In looking at this again, it seems to me that the result might be some kind of projection, kind of like "if you continued making .3% percent for the next 11 months, your ytd yield would be 3.89%" and that is absolutely NOT what I'm looking for. No projections...just actuals. Here I want to know at the end of each month what my gain or loss is from the original value.

I hope this is clear to you. Thank you for taking the time to read it and for any help you can provide.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
OK let's try and deal with these one at a time.

Question 1 is a bit unclear, but it looks like you are trying to calculate what I would call an annualised percentage change.
For example, if the change from one day to the following day is 0.1%, then the annualised percentage change is 0.1% x 365 = 36.5%.
Is this a reasonable description of what you are trying to achieve ?

Assuming YES . . . .

I can't exactly replicate your results - I'm getting 37.33212, when TODAY() = 22nd Jan 2018.
Even if TODAY()= 21st Jan 2018, I get 37.42909

I can generate a result of 39.58846 if TODAY() = 31st December 2017 . . . .which it isn't :)

Anyway, try formating your result as a number, not %.
Or if you need to show it as %, divide your result by 100.
Like this . . .
=D85*(365/(A86-A2))/100

But anyway, a 39.48 increase on 5000 over a year should obviously be about 7 or 8%, not 39%.

Try

=((D85/D83)*(A86-A2))/365

Where D83 contains the starting amount of 5000

or

=((D85/D83)*(A86-A2))/365/100 if you need a percentage.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyDarR

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back