Pipe delimited files

JMFW

Board Regular
Hello

I have been asked to save an excel file using the pipe deliminitor. Can anyone tell me how I do this please.

Do you mean the code in Message #3 above? If so, I did not need to do that when I tested the code before posting it.

. Thanks for the reply Rick
. As I mentioned (possibly in that other Thread?) it is aproblem I often have and so may be something specific to my system.
. Genarally your code is working fine for me
Thanks again
Alan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Rick,

Any suggestion as to why when I use .CurrentRegion, my code works fine

Pete

Hi Pete,
. I am not sure if it helps you.
. But I just learnt something useful as I tried to figure out your problem...
. I get the same error you do with your second code if any any cells in the range B6 to B24 are empty
. Using the extra .CurrentRegion bit seems a neat way to get over that problem.
. --: Using your second code it will work with empty cells as well :)

Upvote 0
Hi, Doc - still puzzling my way through it, as I have no empty cells in the range
I thought that having numbers, as against strings in the range might have been the culprit, so replaced them with strings, but it wasn't that either.

I'll get there, I'm sure, but thanks for your suggestion!

Pete

Upvote 0
Got it (and it's a daft one!)

You can't pipe-separate a single column (for obvious reasons) - as soon as I changed my range reference to include two or more columns, it worked fine.

Doh!

Pete :)

Upvote 0
Both Answers:

Code:
With Sheets("Sheet1").[COLOR=#FF0000][B]Range("A4:A87")[/B] [/COLOR]

and

Replace A1 with A4 give me a:

Run Time Error: '13':
Type mismatch

Debugger Stops at
Code:
FileText = FileText & vbCrLf & Join(Application.Index(.Rows(X).Value, 1, 0), "|")

Maybe because all my info is on column A?

Please Advise.

Thanks

Upvote 0
That's right - because this code is designed to delimit columns of data with a "|" character, it stands to reason that there needs to be at least two columns of data.

I wish I'd realised that earlier, though! :)

Upvote 0
That's right - because this code is designed to delimit columns of data with a "|" character, it stands to reason that there needs to be at least two columns of data.

I wish I'd realised that earlier, though! :)

It is my fault... I had some chores to do this morning/early afternoon and rushed my answer in Message #9 which, as you and others have discovered, was incorrect (I left out the CurrentRegion property). As it turns out, though, that answer appears not to be what the poster in Message #4 wanted. See my next message as I address that issue with the poster directly.

Upvote 0
Both Answers:

Code:
With Sheets("Sheet1").[COLOR=#ff0000][B]Range("A4:A87")[/B] [/COLOR]

and

Replace A1 with A4 give me a:

Run Time Error: '13':
Type mismatch
I am sorry, but my answer in Message #9 has led this thread astray. If all you want to do is concatenate a single column of contiguous cells together to form a pipe delimited text string, you can do that with one line of code...

PipeDelimitedText = Join(Application.Transpose(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A4:A87").Value), "|")

Upvote 0
I am sorry, but my answer in Message #9 has led this thread astray. If all you want to do is concatenate a single column of contiguous cells together to form a pipe delimited text string, you can do that with one line of code...

PipeDelimitedText = Join(Application.Transpose(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A4:A87").Value), "|")
It's that man again!
Happy New Year, Rick!
I shall give this a try at work tomorrow.
Cheers
Pete

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHOJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back