Pipe delimited files

JMFW

Board Regular
Hello

I have been asked to save an excel file using the pipe deliminitor. Can anyone tell me how I do this please.

Code:
For Col = 1 To 26
  PipeDelimitedText = PipeDelimitedText & "|" & Join(Application.Transpose(Sheets( _
                      "Sheet3").Range("A1:A20").Offset(, Col - 1).Value), "|")
Next

Ugh, this did wrap the rows BUT it wrapped the cells in each column first, then the rows. I just want each row to follow each other, after the first row of data in Excel.

For example:

Row 1: Hi my name is
Row 2: The best person ever is 79222
Row 3: miles away from a bacon
Row 4: sandwich and a frozen anteater walking on clouds

Keep the first row as is and wrap the other rows below it

Row 2+3+4 (wrapped): The best person ever is 79222 miles away from a bacon sandwich and a frozen anteater walking on clouds

Is anyone awake that can help me please? LOL
Btw, this is being pasted into Notepad with pipe delimiters (I have the code for that already).

Thanks, ba

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Keep the first row as is and wrap the other rows below it

Row 2+3+4 (wrapped): The best person ever is 79222 miles away from a bacon sandwich and a frozen anteater walking on clouds
What exactly do you mean by Row 2+3+4(wrapped)? Do you mean merged so that they appear to be a single cell with the text wrapped within that merged cell?

Upvote 0
What exactly do you mean by Row 2+3+4(wrapped)? Do you mean merged so that they appear to be a single cell with the text wrapped within that merged cell?

Yes, basically. I just need the rows (not including the first row) to display merged in a text file (Notepad) when its pasted there. Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
Yes, basically. I just need the rows (not including the first row) to display merged in a text file (Notepad) when its pasted there. Hope that makes sense.
Sorry, but I am still not clear on this. Let's say this is what your worksheet looks like...

ABC
1Hi my name isOne two
2The best person everThree four five
3is 79222 miles awaysix seven
4from a bacon sandwich.eight nine ten.

<colgroup><col style="width: 30px; font-weight: bold;"><col style="width: 162px;"><col style="width: 109px;"><col style="width: 32px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Show me how that should look in the text file that you are going to load into Notepad.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I am still not clear on this. Let's say this is what your worksheet looks like...

A
B
C
Hi my name is
One two
The best person ever
Three four five
is 79222 miles away
six seven
from a bacon sandwich.
eight nine ten.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Show me how that should look in the text file that you are going to load into Notepad.

That's ok, I'm not the best at explaining with this.
This is what I'm looking for:

Hi my name is|One two|
The best person ever|Three four five|is 79222 miles away|six seven|from a bacon sandwich.|eight nine ten.|

Upvote 0
This is what I'm looking for:

Hi my name is|One two|
The best person ever|Three four five|is 79222 miles away|six seven|from a bacon sandwich.|eight nine ten.|
Just to clarify... will that be one single line or two separate lines in the text file?

Upvote 0
Two seprate lines. The first line (first row in Excel) will always be its own line, and the next line will be one long line depending on how many rows there are from Excel.

Okay, I think I have it all straight now. Give this macro a try...
Code:
Sub PipeDelimitedRowJoins()
  Dim R As Long, C As Long, LastRow As Long, FileNo As Long
  Dim FileName As String, PipeDelimitedText As String
  Const ColCount As Long = [B][COLOR=#ff0000]26
[/COLOR][/B]  FileName = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("Desktop") & "\[COLOR=#0000FF][B]Testfile.txt[/B][/COLOR]"
  LastRow = Columns("[COLOR=#008000][B]A[/B][/COLOR]").Resize(, ColCount).Find("*", , xlValues, , xlRows, xlPrevious).Row
  PipeDelimitedText = Join(Application.Index(Range("[B][COLOR=#008000]A1[/COLOR][/B]").Resize(, ColCount).Value, 1, 0), "|") & "|" & vbCrLf
  For R = [COLOR=#800080][B]2[/B][/COLOR] To LastRow
    PipeDelimitedText = PipeDelimitedText & Join(Application.Index(Cells(R, "[COLOR=#008000][B]A[/B][/COLOR]").Resize(, ColCount).Value, 1, 0), "|") & "|"
  Next
  FileNo = FreeFile
  Open FileName For Output As #FileNo
  Print #FileNo, PipeDelimitedText
  Close #FileNo
End Sub

NOTE: You will have to change the highlighted item to match your actual setup...

1) The red 26 is the number of columns of data that you want to concatenate across.

2) The blue text is the file name you want to use for the text file that will be saved to your computer's Desktop (note the leading backslash... that must precede whatever file name you use).

3) The 3 green text snippets represent the first cell where your data starts (the code assumes that is cell A1).

4) The purple 2 is the row number for the second line of data.

Upvote 0
Hi Rick, it all worked except the formatting of two my my cells was changed when pasted onto the Notepad file. The cells have dates in the format of yyyymmdd in Excel, but in Notepad they changed to m/d/yyyy. Any idea why?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back