Pivot data returning earliest date and latest date (only) counts by a training class number

SerenityNetworks

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I need to generate a Pivot Table and Chart. I believe standard Pivot Table functionality is not up to the task, and I'll need Power Pivot. I'm okay with either, but I need guidance. I do need to avoid using summary columns in/beside the source data if at all possible.

I assist an organization that helps the needy. The organization conducts 9-week classes. A student's status is tracked over time for such things as do they have transportation, what is their housing status, do they have employment, do they have insurance, etc. I would like to generate a set of Pivot Tables and Charts that will show, by class number, client status counts upon entering the program (i.e. the earliest update date for the client) and their latest status (i.e. the latest update date for the client). Update information that falls between the earliest and latest dates will be ignored. For example, if there are status updated made 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, and 6/1, then the 2/1 and 3/1 updates are ignored. Note: client information is most commonly not updated on the same dates.

The source data would look something like this:

ClassNameUpdatedHousingTransportation
45​
Aaron
1/1/2023​
HomelessNo
45​
Aaron
2/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
45​
Aaron
6/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
45​
Bob
1/1/2023​
HomelessNo
45​
Bob
2/1/2023​
IncarceratedN/A
45​
Charlotte
1/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
45​
Charlotte
1/2/2023​
ApartmentYes
45​
Charlotte
3/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
46​
Dawn
6/1/2023​
HomelessNo
46​
Dawn
7/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
46​
Dawn
10/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
46​
Eric
6/2/2023​
ApartmentYes
46​
Eric
7/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
46​
Eric
12/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
47​
Frank
6/1/2023​
HomelessNo
47​
Frank
8/1/2023​
HomelessYes
47​
Gina
6/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
47​
Gina
7/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
47​
Gina
8/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
47​
Gina
1/1/2024​
HomeYes
47​
Henry
6/3/2023​
ApartmentNo
47​
Henry
7/1/2023​
HomelessYes
47​
Henry
10/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
47​
Henry
2/2/2024​
HomeYes

The results table would be something like the following (first row added for clarity on what's being returned in the second row and below):

HousingHousingHousingHousingTransportationTransportationTransportation
ClassUpdateHomelessApartmentIncarceratedHomeYesNoN/A
45Earliest2100030
45Latest0210201
46Earliest1100110
46Latest0200200
47Earliest1200030
47Latest1020300

Right now, I'm at a loss as how to limit the results table to only the data needed/shown. I've tried using standard pivot functionality using Class as a Row field, Update as a Row field filtered by value, Housing and Transportation as a Column field, and Transportation as a Value field set to Count. That's not getting me what I need - at all.

I need some guidance with as much detail as you have time to provide. I'm not well acquainted with Power Pivot.

Thanks,
Andrew

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
A gentle reminder:

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:

There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
Thanks Rory. I actually just made an update on OzGrid and will be making an update post here too. I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Upvote 0
Updates:
  1. Having not received the start of any discussion on a solution, I cross-posted here. As of now, I have not received a response there either.
  2. More importantly, I am currently working on a potential solution using the index and match functions on the source table that returns the summary/results data I need to generate a Pivot Chart. It's looking promising. Please, post or send me a message if you believe you have a Power Pivot solution before spending any time on it. I'll let you know how I'm going with my own solution. Of course, I'll post back here if I do succeed. I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Upvote 0
Hi,

How did you get "1" in Class 45, Earliest update Apartment column and "2" for the same class Latest update Apartment column.

but I am getting Earliest "2" and Latest "1" for the same.
Pivot data returning earliest date and latest date (only) counts by a training class number.xlsx
TUV
3Housing
4ClassUpdateApartment
545Earliest2
645Latest1
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
V5V5=COUNTIFS($K$3:$K$26,MINIFS($K$3:$K$26,$J$3:$J$26,$B$4,$I$3:$I$26,$V$4),$J$3:$J$26,$B$4,$I$3:$I$26,$V$4)
V6V6=COUNTIFS($K$3:$K$26,MAXIFS($K$3:$K$26,$J$3:$J$26,$B$4,$I$3:$I$26,$V$4),$J$3:$J$26,$B$4,$I$3:$I$26,$V$4)

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking a look at my problem.

How did you get "1" in Class 45, Earliest update Apartment column and "2" for the same class Latest update Apartment column.
  • For earliest:
    • Only Charlotte was in an apartment when she started Class 45. Aaron and Bob were homeless when they started Class 45. So for the earliest information on the three in Class 45, only one was in an apartment (Charlotte).
  • For latest:
    • When Aaron was last checked on (6/1/23), he was in an apartment. Bob was incarcerated when last checked on. Charlotte was in an apartment when she was last checked on (3/1/23). So on the last updates for the three that were in Class 45, there were two in apartments.
But I am having trouble seeing how you have structured your functions. In what range did you paste the source data?

Thanks,
Andrew

Upvote 0
I like to to know what format is your source file. Is it text ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I like to to know what format is your source file. Is it text ?
It is Excel. The source data is an Excel tracking workbook.

But I do already know how pull Earliest and Latest values. Getting the data in a Pivot is my issue. Yet please be aware that I did cross post and one of the Admins at OzGrid has started helping too. He posted a sample with some instructions here. You might want take a gander.

Thanks,
Andrew

Upvote 0
I posted it there because it's easier to use an attachment for things like this. ;)

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back