Pivot data returning earliest date and latest date (only) counts by a training class number

SerenityNetworks

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I need to generate a Pivot Table and Chart. I believe standard Pivot Table functionality is not up to the task, and I'll need Power Pivot. I'm okay with either, but I need guidance. I do need to avoid using summary columns in/beside the source data if at all possible.

I assist an organization that helps the needy. The organization conducts 9-week classes. A student's status is tracked over time for such things as do they have transportation, what is their housing status, do they have employment, do they have insurance, etc. I would like to generate a set of Pivot Tables and Charts that will show, by class number, client status counts upon entering the program (i.e. the earliest update date for the client) and their latest status (i.e. the latest update date for the client). Update information that falls between the earliest and latest dates will be ignored. For example, if there are status updated made 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, and 6/1, then the 2/1 and 3/1 updates are ignored. Note: client information is most commonly not updated on the same dates.

The source data would look something like this:

ClassNameUpdatedHousingTransportation
45​
Aaron
1/1/2023​
HomelessNo
45​
Aaron
2/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
45​
Aaron
6/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
45​
Bob
1/1/2023​
HomelessNo
45​
Bob
2/1/2023​
IncarceratedN/A
45​
Charlotte
1/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
45​
Charlotte
1/2/2023​
ApartmentYes
45​
Charlotte
3/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
46​
Dawn
6/1/2023​
HomelessNo
46​
Dawn
7/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
46​
Dawn
10/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
46​
Eric
6/2/2023​
ApartmentYes
46​
Eric
7/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
46​
Eric
12/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
47​
Frank
6/1/2023​
HomelessNo
47​
Frank
8/1/2023​
HomelessYes
47​
Gina
6/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
47​
Gina
7/1/2023​
ApartmentNo
47​
Gina
8/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
47​
Gina
1/1/2024​
HomeYes
47​
Henry
6/3/2023​
ApartmentNo
47​
Henry
7/1/2023​
HomelessYes
47​
Henry
10/1/2023​
ApartmentYes
47​
Henry
2/2/2024​
HomeYes

The results table would be something like the following (first row added for clarity on what's being returned in the second row and below):

HousingHousingHousingHousingTransportationTransportationTransportation
ClassUpdateHomelessApartmentIncarceratedHomeYesNoN/A
45Earliest2100030
45Latest0210201
46Earliest1100110
46Latest0200200
47Earliest1200030
47Latest1020300

Right now, I'm at a loss as how to limit the results table to only the data needed/shown. I've tried using standard pivot functionality using Class as a Row field, Update as a Row field filtered by value, Housing and Transportation as a Column field, and Transportation as a Value field set to Count. That's not getting me what I need - at all.

I need some guidance with as much detail as you have time to provide. I'm not well acquainted with Power Pivot.

Thanks,
Andrew

I posted it there because it's easier to use an attachment for things like this. ;)
Absolutely.
Plus, OzGrid was the first Excel forum I participated in. At one time, long ago, I was good at Excel and contributed often. These days, in retirement, I've fallen way behind on Excel's capabilities.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
All that we've discussed is working quite well. Thank you VERY much.

But the resulting pivot table revealed some data issues. I need to add the option of restricting the data by whether the student has ever graduated from a class or not. So, I added a column in the source data that has a formula which returns Yes or No on whether the student has ever graduated from a class. I modified the query to include the new column, but of course the pivot table just places the yes/no under the "Ever Graduated" heading. I need to move it so that I can constrain the pivot results as I do for "Class Number". But I'm at a loss as how to do this.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
@RoryA

Update to the above post. Here is the current query.

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="InfoAndHistory"]}[Content],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Lastname, Firstname", type text}, {"Update Date", type datetime}, {"Updated by", type text}, {"Class(es) Attended", type text}, {"First Class", type number}, {"Ever Graduated", type text}, {"Contact Method", type text}, {"Current Phone", type any}, {"Ext / Alt / Ph Notes", type text}, {"Address", type text}, {"Email", type text}, {"Employed?", type text}, {"Employer?", type text}, {"How long at current employer (in months)?", Int64.Type}, {"Wage Increase?", type text}, {"Notes, Recognition, Awards, etc.", type text}, {"Deceased", type text}, {"Residence", type text}, {"Food and Nutrition", type text}, {"Childcare", type text}, {"Reliable Transportation", type text}, {"Insurance", type text}, {"Student Video", type any}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Updated by", "Class(es) Attended", "Contact Method", "Current Phone", "Ext / Alt / Ph Notes", "Address", "Email", "Employer?", "How long at current employer (in months)?", "Wage Increase?", "Notes, Recognition, Awards, etc.", "Deceased", "Student Video"}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"First Class", "Lastname, Firstname", "Update Date", "Ever Graduated", "Employed?", "Residence", "Food and Nutrition", "Childcare", "Reliable Transportation", "Insurance"}),
#"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Removed Columns", {"First Class", "Lastname, Firstname", "Update Date"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
#"Unpivoted Other Columns"

Upvote 0
@RoryA

Doh! Never-mind. I was having a brain cramp. Once I thought about it, making the change was bonehead easy. However, I did find that I needed to add two new parameters, Ever Graduated and Updated. Ever Graduated lets me filter for if the student ever graduated in any class. Updated lets me filter out records where I don't have both a beginning record and a current record.

Thanks again for all your assistance.
Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back