Pivot Table Calculations Using Same Field

Tom1022

Hello.

I am trying to create a pivot table that tracks debits versus credits over time. Debits and Credits are captured within the same field, "Transaction Type." I would like to subtract debits from credits in a new column. My pivot table has the following design:

Row Labels:Month
Column Labels: Transaction Type (Debit or Credit)
Values: Sum of Amount

The design above produces a sum of debits and credits in columns by month in rows. I would like to insert a new column into my pivot table that subtracts debits from credits.

I have tried calculated items but am getting the following error message: "Pivot Table formulas can only refer to items in the same field as the calculated item."

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I solved my own problem. I was trying to create the calculated item by clicking the row labels rather than the column labels. However, I still have a problem, which is that Excel is saying I don't have enough memory to insert the calculated item, which I don't really believe. I tested it in another workbook with less data, and it worked. I think I am just having a problem with the specific workbook that I am using.

Upvote 0
And, just in case anyone cares, I saved my file under a different name and then started deleting tabs until I only had my source data left. That apparently cleared up enough memory and allowed me to use calculated items. Problem solved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back