Pivot Table Charts - Cum Count starts over every year

mm9360a

Basically I’m pulling in data from a DB for this chart. I need to create pivot table chart that has a cumulative sum of various status’ from year to year. The problem I’m running into is that it stops the cumulative sum after 2009 and starts over at 2010. I need it to keep cumulative sum from year to year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hard to say without getting a bit more information on the structure. Is the Year in a separate field than the month, or quarter, or whatever your lower-level field is? If so, then there's your problem. You'd need to have all of the date information in a single field. It might be a good idea to create a separate column that can serve as a single time field.

For example, instead of having one column of data listing "2008", "2009", "2010" and another listing "May", "June", "July", etc., use a single column listed "May 2008", "June 2008", "July 2008", and so on.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! The date field is a long date, so basically a created on date of "5/13/2009 12:51:54 PM". They are not separated out. I pull those into the pivot table, then group by year/month. Is there anyway I can attach the worksheet here? That would really help.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... it may be the grouping that's interfering with your cumulative function. If you've got that long date field, you can use this formula to create a new column as I suggested:

=TEXT(A1, "mmmm yyyy")

(Where A1 is a cell in that long date format)

Copy that down, add it into your pivot table, and see if anything good comes of it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back