Pivot table from PQ - help improve my solution

henryg

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a cross-tabulated pivot table created via Excel Powery Query from data exported from an accounting program; it works but I feel it is clunky and could be improved. The major issue is that the financial year is 30 April annually.

So I used PQ to assign an accounting year to each data date, eg 1 Jun 2023 would be in FY 2024, and similarly a financial year month number, and I also extract the month name. I end up with

Screenshot 2023-06-27 115358.png

I then hide the month number row which gives me exactly what I want, but I feel it could be done more elegantly. So what do you think?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hi Henry, for obvious reasons you would be better posting this in the Power Tools section. [Mod note: thread has been moved]

That said, my advice would be to create a calendar either in PQ or in PowerPivot (I prefer to create my own in PQ) you can then assign the accounting blocks as you wish.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hi Henry, for obvious reasons you would be better posting this in the Power Tools section. [Mod note: thread has been moved]

That said, my advice would be to create a calendar either in PQ or in PowerPivot (I prefer to create my own in PQ) you can then assign the accounting blocks as you wish.

HTH
Not sure how to do/use this. I have Googled, but little the wiser. It's not a problem to allocate dates to financial years and months, so I'm unsure how a calendar will help - but then I don't really understand.

I was thinking of a formulaic solution using new Excel 365 functions - may be beyond me, but worth a go. No need to refresh, but also no drill down. I may just settle for "inelegant" ;)

Upvote 0
With a calendar table you'd have a dimension "fiscal/fin year". That's the suggestion of Peter.
No need for a calculation, simply add the dimension from the Power Pivot. Please never create the cross tab report via PQ. That's a Pivot's job. 😉

Upvote 0
Sorted; pun intended.

I forgot that I had a custom list set up, so all I had to do was go into the header row field sort option, dig down a bit and set the sort by custom list. I'm pretty sure I must have done this in the past, but perhaps lost it on an update, as my recollection was that the sort order used to be how I wanted it.

All's well that end well. A few hours spent, but not wasted as I have re-learnt something.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back