Pivot Table-subtotaling by sum when values are reported as percents

xtapalat

I am trying to summarize employee time sheet data using a pivot table. I want it to break down by employee the percentage of time they are spending on each client each week. I have been able to do that. Ideally, I would then be able to show in the table a summary for each employee of the total hours billed during the week (so absolute total, not the percentages that are used in the body of the table). Anyone know if this is doable? Photo attached. Each column represents a week. I would want rows 5, 11, and 15 to show the total hours that employee spent across all clients for the week. Thanks!

Attachments

• Data Snapshot.JPG
    Data Snapshot.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 9

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
It's impossible to answer this without seeing how you structured your input data.
If your source data is in hours, you just have to undo the "show as percent" setting you did in order to show it as a percent.
If your source data is in percents, then you'll need to add a new column or columns, or you could use the calculated field.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Have attached a screenshot that gives a sense of the raw data structure. Data source is in hours. The problem I am having is that, when I try to undo the 'show values as percent of parent row total' selection, even if I just do it for a row with the parents in it, it makes the change for the entire pivot table. What I am trying to get is output like the attached screenshot which reports the actual sum in the parent and then shows the percent breakdown below (so combination of both percent and actual reporting in the pivot table).

Attachments

• Ideal Output.JPG
    Ideal Output.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Data Structure.JPG
    Data Structure.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Ah ok. I don't know an "easy" way to fix this, but you can create your own custom table based on the pivot, but this takes some effort to set up.

Start by making a pivot with the columns in tabular form. Then use the GetPivotData function to mirror the data in another table, see my quick and dirty example below.

After that you can add whatever rows you want. For exmple, add a row between 6 and 7 for the summary for Jim, using SUMPRODUCT to get the sum. Then add 2 more columns to the right, where you convert the hours to % for everything except the subtotal rows you added. Then you can just hide the columns you no longer need (I and J in my exmple)

It takes a while to set up and it's not the most elegant, but once it's set up it will work.

1595794633825.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back