pivot tables linked to Access database showing errors on trying to connect to data source

IndianSummer

Hi, I have created a file containing a number of pivot tables which are all pulling data from queries in an Access database. It has been working really well since 2011 and is the source of 90% the required data for reports for our organisation.
I have been adding new pivot tables over the years, to provide summaries for each financial year.
Now suddenly this year, on adding the new versions of some tables for the 2014-15 fin yr, I am getting error messages whenever I use the Refresh All command, starting with
"Unspecified error", then
"Do you want to connect to <\Path\Databasename>?" (Yes I do, this is the same db it has been successfully connecting to throughout.)
If I click OK, it opens up the Data Link dialog, like I'm just setting up the connection from scratch. Then on OK I get:
"Excel cannot open the file at <\Path\Databasename>
and will not perform the refresh". Followed by:
"Data file : <\Path\Databasename>
cannot be found. Do you want to connect to <\Current folder path and name\Databasename> instead?" I say no.
Then:
"Do you want to connect using information from <\Path\MyDocuments\Databasename.odc file?"
I say No and find myself back at "Unspecified error".
Help please? Is there a limit to the number of external connections that a single Excel file can support? Or that an Access database can send data to?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Helen

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi again, sorry... I forgot to add that when i refresh the tables one at a time, instead of using the Refresh All command, there a no issues at all, they refresh as they should.

Upvote 0
I have had the exact same error. I noticed closing completely out of Excel and Access (even a reboot) will fix it. I am assuming it may be a RAM issue.

Hi again, sorry... I forgot to add that when i refresh the tables one at a time, instead of using the Refresh All command, there a no issues at all, they refresh as they should.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back