Please get MS to fix the "single click selects multiple cells" bug

L

Legacy 60377

In excel 2007 and 2010 (i've never used 2013) there is a "single click selects multiple cells" bug.

Bug description:
When in page layout mode
with window scrolled so that parts of more then one vertical page is visible
clicking on any cell will select multiple cells

It's very annoying.

How can I/we get MS to fix this?
Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I can't reproduce that behaviour in Excel 2010.

Sometimes i can reproduce it and sometimes i can't. There seems to be another requirement for it to happen and I haven't been able to figure out what it is.

A lot of people tell me to press F8 to fix it but is an unrelated feature to turn extend selection mode on/off.

Upvote 0
Sometimes i can reproduce it and sometimes i can't.

I think that's precisely the problem. Until a reproducible case can be presented to MS, they won't be able to figure out why it happens or fix it. Even then, if it's not a major problem (i.e. reported by a lot of people and/or preferably enterprises) the odds of it getting fixed are not that high I suspect as it's only an annoyance.

Upvote 0
I am running into this with multiple documents. All of these were originally created in 97-2003 compatibility mode and even after converting to a .xlsx document the error still occurs in page layout mode. I tried zooming, which worked for about 5 min and pressing f8 which didn't work at all. The only way to prevent it from happening is to be in Normal View mode.

Upvote 0
Sometimes i can reproduce it and sometimes i can't. There seems to be another requirement for it to happen and I haven't been able to figure out what it is.

A lot of people tell me to press F8 to fix it but is an unrelated feature to turn extend selection mode on/off.

I think I've been able to figure out exactly what triggers this, in Excel 2010 at least. When you're in page view, if even a sliver of the next page is visible, then the multiselect thing happens. If you scroll up, cutting off the next page, it seems to be fine.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back