PLEASE Tell Me There is a Way to Disable Menu Animations When Using Ctrl/Alt Shortcuts in 2013!

ExcelLife

I recently upgraded from 2010, and I am a very heavy keyboard user.

So far, in Excel 2013, every time I use an Alt keyboard shortcut it shows every single menu option pop up and it takes (what seems like) FOREVER to just do what I need done.

This completely erases the advantage of using keyboard shortcuts - and I HATE having to use the mouse when it isn't necessary. It is just not as efficient.

So, is there a way that anyone here knows of to stop these animations??

PS:
I have already disabled hardware graphics acceleration in Options > Advanced > Display, and unchecked "Animate controls and elements inside windows" in Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Visual Effects.

Neither one works.

XJ0aRtw.png

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
How to Disable Worksheet Animation in Excel 2013

1. Access the Windows Control Panel:

• Windows 7: Click Start, and then Control Panel.
  • Windows 8: From the desktop right-click the Windows button and choose Control Panel. Or, from the Start screen (also known as the Metro interface), start typing the words Control Panel to make a Control Panel icon appear.
2. Choose Ease of Use within the Control Panel (Keyboard shortcut: press Windows-U to hop directly to this window without first launching the Control Panel in step 1 above.)

3. Scroll down and click the Use This Computer Without a Display link.

4. Scroll down and click the Turn Off All Unnecessary Animations (When Possible) checkbox.

5. Click OK as needed or close any onscreen windows.

excel%202013%20Animation%20-%20Figure%201.jpg

Upvote 0
The forum is no longer allowing me to edit my original post, but I wanted to update the list of things I have found elsewhere on the internet and have tried for anyone else following this thread:

- Excel > Options > Advanced > Display > check "Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration"
- Excel > Options > Advanced > Lotus Compatibility > delete anything in the "Microsoft Excel Menu Key" box
- Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Visual Effects > uncheck "Animate controls and elements inside windows"
- Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Use This Computer Without a Display > check "Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)"

Upvote 0
I couldn't find anything else, but just realised I don't use ALT as far as I recall in excel. 2013 feels sluggish to me, so I maintain access to 2003, 2007 and 2010 versions also

Upvote 0
I couldn't find anything else, but just realised I don't use ALT as far as I recall in excel. 2013 feels sluggish to me, so I maintain access to 2003, 2007 and 2010 versions also
Yeah, I hear ya. They "upgraded" us at work so I don't have an option, and I can't even explain how crippling this issue is for me lol.

Upvote 0
i wonder if this might help

Application.TransitionNavigKeys = False

in a macro somewhere (probably won't work)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back