Plot with X,Y, and Z axes

kingofaces

Board Regular
Essentially I'm trying to make a 3-d plot similar to this:

http://soft.proindependent.com/doc/manual-en/pics/3d-gallery-mesh.png

I have 3 columns of data, one column for each axis. I've been looking through some older posts and they have said there's no straightforward way to do this in excel (at the time at least). Does Excel 2010 support anything like this yet? If not, does anyone have suggestions on programs that will? I've seen a couple, but I'm hoping there's a free one as this is a need that only comes up occasionally. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Thanks. I've been tinkering with surface and contour charts a bit in Excel and while they're ok, they look a little cluttered too. I'll have to see what other programs look like.

On that note, does anyone know how you change the colors and range of numbers used in a contour plot? I used to just change the range and major units of the axis for the surface plot and the colors would just fill in automatically. I still want the colors to represent a certain range of numbers on the contour plot, but I don't see anywhere that can be changed since the "z-axis" isn't included. Is there a menu I'm missing (Excel 2010)? I know how to change the color of an already existing band through the format menu, but I don't know how to change the range of numbers that band represents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back